This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated cat question

Started by Jin Liu, July 25, 2018 · 4 Replies · 92 Views

Jin Liu

Saw this online today. Is it true that the rest of the back is supposed to be hollow in the elevated cat? It makes sense when you see these forms side by side. But I’ve been arching my back like the top pic forever..

 

66C0C191-AF7C-40F0-BE63-A2255BA99980.jpeg

Mark Chin

Good question. Me, too. Looking forward to hearing the answer.

 

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Jin,

The hollow position is more ideal for improving pure shoulder flexion flexibility. This is because it prevents you from using your upper back to gain more range of motion.

The arched spine position allows you to open up Thoracic extension more.

Both are useful when applied with purpose. For example, If you want to improve your handstand, he hollow position would be more ideal. Likewise, if your goal is to open up your spine then do the arched variation.

Alessandro Mainente

Exactly as MIkey said the worst thing is saying what is wrong in absolute. there are things useful for a specific goal like a thoracic extension or shoulder range of motion for handstand. I can guarantee you that the arched cat gives you the range of motion of the hollow flexion but not vice versa.

the ability to find a solution for specific demands is one of the major quality of a good Coach!

Jin Liu

I see :).  Thanks @Mikey Cunanan and @Alessandro Mainente!! I completely forgot about the thoracic extension part. I've been struggling with opening up the shoulders more without having to arch my back excessively in weightlifting. That's why the bottom picture clicked with me right away. But thoracic bridge needs thoracic extension. 

I'll keep doing the arched back to increase my thoracic extension. But I'll also try the hollow back position to open up my shoulders more for WL :)