Specific core work necessary for beginners?

Started by nf46, April 18, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,896 Views

nf46

hi, just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me as i have seen it said that static positions are all the core work a beginner needs, but also that specific core work is necessary. Is specific core work a more advanced tool or would I do well to integrate it next cycle. I personally do not feel front and back levers in my core, but perhaps this is because I am only on tuck progressions.

Anyway, any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance. :D

Joakim Anderson

When I began gymnastic training I went straight at L-sits, L-sit lifts, hanging leg lifts, hanging L for time, windshield wipers, bridge pushups etc, together with everything else that was new. I never felt that my core got exhausted from it, just stronger. Read the sticky threads in Basic Strength about the different core exercises and try some.

iyaites

BODY LEVERS !

those will really help you out, especially when you progress to weighted variations! I am able to do front lever pulls just because of training body levers, i never even trained front lever seriously.

braindx

I prefer compression work for beginners for the core work for the abs specifically. Low back I would say hit it with weights...

Blairbob

Start working all the L variants, support and hanging, doing lifts, etc besides body levers.

It's imperative to learn how to hold a hollow body position and tuck the hips under (pelvic tilt).

For a beginner, if you can't do an L hold or hang, you can't really do anything.

Coach Sommer
Blairbob said:
Start working all the L variants, support and hanging, doing lifts, etc besides body levers. It's imperative to learn how to hold a hollow body position and tuck the hips under (pelvic tilt). For a beginner, if you can't do an L hold or hang, you can't really do anything.

Very good advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer