Curved stretching bench
Started by Michaël Van den Berg, July 23, 2018 · 5 Replies · 3,391 Views
Right click on the image, hit "Search Google for image", under "find other sizes of this image" click "all sizes".
I dug around a bit and it looks like they are not made anymore and were in any case only available in Australia. But maybe you could ask them for a CAD file and make one yourself.
Thank you, I'll see if I can get more info. In the meantime, if anyone here has one and wants to share its dimensions, please let me know
This is a "whale", it was developed for Kit Laughlin's stretching approach.
I have used bolsters, arms of couches and rollers for backbending, and also a thoracic rack. These are ok, but are really designed for triathletes, who spend vast amounts of time bent over bike handlebars. The photos show someone lying on one with shoulders in flexion, but ideally you want someone holding your wrists and applying a bit of traction.
Same with the whales, though you can hold a weight in your hands to add some tension.
I prefer half a barrel, with legs (see the picture below). The radius is quite large, whereas the whale (having seen and used them) is more for people who are small and already have some thoracic flexibility. At least that is my thoughts on them. For me, it is important that I can feel my back in contact with the support all the way - so a large radius is better. If I can't feel my back on the barrel, I just add weight (in my hands) until I do
Right on, thanks! I had no idea they're small. At 1.80 m I'm not very big either
but it would be great to have something that allows for contact along (most of) the back, as you say. I'll see what I can conjure up myself - thanks for the suggestions.
I'm going to elevate the barrel a bit to eliminate any hip flexion so I get a good stretch at the front of my hips and in my lower abdomen. (After my right shoulder surgery, I could feel pulling in my left hip when I abducted my right arm - the surgeon overtightened my right shoulder capsule :/ )
On Facebook, Marion Crampe (a pole virtuoso) often does backbending in doorways. I've had some success with that, but using the barrel and a couple of cushions I can get much more support around the back of the head, so I can take a Yin yoga approach and just lie there for a while.
Edit: did a bit of searching but can't find the whale dimensions anywhere. Sorry.

