This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Lunge/Straight Leg

Started by Nigel Pengelly, July 22, 2018 · 3 Replies · 143 Views

Nigel Pengelly

Hi everyone, I have been doing the stretch series for nearly a year and while I have made some gains in many areas, the quads still seem so tight that the end of the front series (vertical lunge and straight leg stretches) is dreaded. Is there anything else i can do or should i increase the frequency? The quad muscles feels like it's going to snap it's so damn tight! I'm tilted forward also. Can someone recommend some daily supplementary exercises perhaps that might help this move forward? 

 

Thanks, Nigel

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Nigel , there are no real secret here. quads are tight because they are bi-articular muscles and because the vast majority of the people work in a sitting position. this leads to the rectus femoris to stay shortened. now, if you hold it in a shortened position for many hours you need more and more time to stretch it. maybe you can use ONLY  the exercise where you feel tight 2-3 times a week.

Nigel Pengelly

Thanks. Will double down on those stretches only.

Thomas Nordman

I've had the same problem with very tight quads but started stretching them daily (by doing vertical shin) a while ago and that has made a huge difference.