This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Time...wasted or wisely spent?

Started by Marko Sekulic, July 22, 2018 · 7 Replies · 294 Views

Marko Sekulic

Hi guys,

I have a question, if possible for GB Coaches or experienced GB athletes...

I decided to spent exactly 3 months ( or 12 weeks like Coach Sommer like to say) on every exercise in Foundations courses, even on the ones that are very easy for me. Reasons for that are: I want to get maximal strength gains from every exercise, to get bigger ROMs on mobility exercises and learn movement patterns correctly and perfect my form on both PE and iM.

Now, my question is...is it 'smart' to apply this aproach on H1 course too, because PE exercises are not really strength exercises, and I think I could progress faster in this course without 'rushing through the course'? If I can demonstrate mastery on every PE and iM, is it okey to move to the next one after 1-2 months?

Thanks,

Marko.

 

Johan Tideland

I am not a coach but this is my take on this: why 3 months? it is not a magic number.

I understand that taking extra time to really hone a master progression can be beneficial and it is an admirable goal. However I do not think that you need to spend several months on a exercise when you have already mastered it.

This is how I look at gst training: There are no magic numbers, a progression will take as long as it takes for me to master it period. It can be one week, it can be 18 months, no matter, I am done when I have mastered the progression.

instead of locking yourself up in set numbers I suggest that you work actively with form checks, that is what the GB coaches are here for. If you hit a wall with your progression you might need to back up a progression or 2 and really refine it, again: work with the coaches, make form checks!

I agree with you it is surely a good thing to spend some extra time to really master a progression but I do not think that there is any point in locking yourself up in set numbers like "every exercise must take 3 months".

Good luck 

 

Marko Sekulic

Hi Johan,

Thank you for your opinion.

I dont know if 3 months is a magic number or not, but coach said so many times, that 8-12 weeks (or 2-3 months) are needed for you to go through periods of overload, load, and underload (where recovery happens and where you get the most strenght gains...so thats what i am aiming for. I start every progression with mastery sets (I am currently on 1st PEs on every element :)), and at the beginning some exercises were very hard for me, and now 2 week later, doing same thing over and over again, these exercises are not that demanding already...so I will stick to them for full 12 weeks, from reasons I already stated.

I agree with you, some exercises in the future might take me more than 3 months to properly master, so I tought 3 month period is a minimum...

I am posting form checks already...:)

The reason i didnt mentioned, but absolutely had it in my mind, is that if you work 3 month on exercise and its mobility, and get the biggest possible gains from both of them, there are really small chance to hit the wall with next proggresions...so, the fastest way to progress (and most certain) , is to go slow...

Marko

Marko Sekulic

@Alessandro Mainente can you drop your opinion on this, please? I would really like to hear it.

 

Alessandro Mainente

The 12 months is the time the connective tissues need to recover completely from the intensity of a new exercise. IF the intensity is too low and you can perform easily step over step there is less necessity to stay on the same exercise, of course, if you can complete and maximize the rom on IM. for the handstand the PE is technical work while the IM and strength elements that join the category of active mobility.

if you can master something with range of motion, tempo, recovery, im etc you can move on. 

a more careful eye should be introduced when you approach the rings course.

Marko Sekulic

Thank you @Alessandro Mainente! I will post form checks on both F1 and H1 and rely on your assessment when is the time to move on...

Andy Desak 36466

The first thing you need to realize is that this is 'on-line' training and not 'personal' training.
If this were personal training then every athlete here would be doing a different program.
EVERYONE is different and everyone adapts to training differently. I use the exercises in these courses as guidelines and incorporate them with my other training. I take what works good for me, add my own spin on things and discard what I don't feel is beneficial.
Like Johan said, there is no magic number. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.
For starters everyone is coming here with different skill sets and strength and flexibility levels. From Johnny couch potato who can't touch the floor or do a pushup to people that can already do strict pullups and dragon flags and beyond. So they may blow through all of F1 in a month or 2. That is why there is no magic number.
You really just need to listen to your body. Do the exercises with strict form and you'll be good.

Edit>>>actually thought I was in the F1 forum when I posted this but it could apply to anything.

Marko Sekulic

Hi Andy,

I dont know why are you mentioning 'personal' training, because all I do, are GB Courses, and all content I post are GB GST training related, and all questions I ask, the same...so there is nothing 'personal' there.

I agree that everyone are different, and respond to training differently, but I would suggest you to listen podcasts with Coach Sommer, and than you will see why I starded this topic...

But after Alessandro dropped his comment above, I listened, so am I posting form check for each and every exercise before he, or some other GB coaches or elite lvl athletes say that I can move forward.

Thanks for your oppinion.

Marko