This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

rings vs. trx trainer

Started by PAUL DALY, July 14, 2018 · 12 Replies · 171 Views

PAUL DALY

For a few weeks I didn't have access to rings so I used a TRX trainer for ground rows. 

I made significant gains during those weeks but. . . 

When I went back to the rings I had regressed quite a bit. 

What's the difference? Is it that the round grip is more of a challenge? Is it the difference of two anchor points vs. one (the ring straps hang straight down, as opposed to going at an angle. 

I think the difference is real whatever the reason. 

Leon Clough

Paul, 

I used TRX due to access issues also, and the biggest difference I noticed was the mounting point of the strap. The further it is from you the less stability, the closer it is to you, the more stability. The TRX straps weren’t hung from a ceiling, but only 4 or 5 feet above my grip. I think the distance of the connection point of the strap on the rings makes a difference, when compared to the closer proximity of ones grip to the tension point of the strap on a TRX grip. 

I experienced a deficit too, but once I got tonrings regularly that went away.  Better than it doing anything though. If it gets you 80% of the way there, it’s useful. Hope this helps. 

Leon

Julian Aldag

Its the wall anchor point that makes it much easier.

PAUL DALY
2 hours ago, Julian Aldag said:

Its the wall anchor point that makes it much easier.

I actually had it posted on a pull up bar, so i was right underneath it, just like the rings. 

 

PAUL DALY
2 hours ago, Leon Clough said:

Paul, 

I used TRX due to access issues also, and the biggest difference I noticed was the mounting point of the strap. The further it is from you the less stability, the closer it is to you, the more stability. The TRX straps weren’t hung from a ceiling, but only 4 or 5 feet above my grip. I think the distance of the connection point of the strap on the rings makes a difference, when compared to the closer proximity of ones grip to the tension point of the strap on a TRX grip. 

I experienced a deficit too, but once I got tonrings regularly that went away.  Better than it doing anything though. If it gets you 80% of the way there, it’s useful. Hope this helps. 

Leon

glad to know I'm not the only one who experienced this!

your theory may be right although I'm not sure i understand the physics of it. but my situation was similar, the straps were on a pull up type bar, maybe 7 feet in the air. The rings I use on mounted about twice that height. 

Leon Clough

Paul,

I was going to write back and say mine was the same way, but I think that Julian makes a good point that validates what we have experienced. The difference is how much mobility and freedom the handle has to move, and the movement you're doing. I found it incredibly hard, for example, to perform hinge rows with the TRX bands. (As a sidebar, I don't like their pull-up bar system at all. It's like grabbing a large PVC pipe. Much prefer a Rogue steel bar or similar). 

Leon

Leon Clough
2 minutes ago, PAUL DALY said:

glad to know I'm not the only one who experienced this!

your theory may be right although I'm not sure i understand the physics of it. but my situation was similar, the straps were on a pull up type bar, maybe 7 feet in the air. The rings I use on mounted about twice that height. 

I'm no physicist, but think of the anchor point in a ceiling for a single ring and strap that's 30 feet away from where you grip. If you made a circle with the ring by running as wide and far as you could at ground level and tracked where the strap went, you'd have a cone that was pretty big: 30 ft. by whatever the size of the circle that you ran at floor level. Now imagine that you do the same thing with a mounting point in your house on say an 8 foot ceiling height, but at the same level from the floor that you would be grabbing in the 30 foot ceiling room. Your circle would be much smaller, and more controllable, less mobile. That's how I see it.... waiting for the physicists to beat me up on this after they're done laughing!! LOL

Jin Liu

To add to what you guys already said, the instability of the rings force you to engage your stabilizer muscles in the shoulders, which requires more energy. While you can already feel the difference doing pulling exercises under the rings, the difference is more, way more, apparent when you do pushing exercises above the rings (torso above the rings), such as dips. Anyone who's done pbar dips and ring dips knows what i'm talking about... That's why rings make you much stronger :) 

Leon Clough

Right on, Jin! Thank you for the added info. People outside of gymnastics-focused movement seem to underestimate that aspect.

Julian Aldag
17 hours ago, Leon Clough said:

. I found it incredibly hard, for example, to perform hinge rows with the TRX bands. 

Its hard for the hinge rows as the TRX straps come together to be anchored as a single strap. As the strap lengths are so short, there is a force pulling the handles together. With hinge rows, you are trying to externally rotate at the top of the movement fighting this added force. That is why it is harder. 

17 hours ago, PAUL DALY said:

I actually had it posted on a pull up bar, so i was right underneath it, just like the rings. 

 Were your shoulders directly under the anchor point? If not, the movement become easier. 

17 hours ago, Leon Clough said:

I'm no physicist, but think of the anchor point in a ceiling for a single ring and strap that's 30 feet away from where you grip. If you made a circle with the ring by running as wide and far as you could at ground level and tracked where the strap went, you'd have a cone that was pretty big: 30 ft. by whatever the size of the circle that you ran at floor level. Now imagine that you do the same thing with a mounting point in your house on say an 8 foot ceiling height, but at the same level from the floor that you would be grabbing in the 30 foot ceiling room. Your circle would be much smaller, and more controllable, less mobile. That's how I see it.... waiting for the physicists to beat me up on this after they're done laughing!! LOL

Assuming the anchor points of say a set of rings are set shoulder width apart, you will not really exp much or any movement from hanging. (now if the points are set outside or inside shoulder width, then you will have to use energy to keep them shoulder width) However, if you are above the rings and in a support position, there will be much more movement and stabilization required. 

So likely @PAUL DALY, either your shoulders are not set directly under the single anchor point above you, OR the nature of the TRX straps coming together to give you a little inward force is giving you a little help and making it easier to keep the elbows in a waste less energy.

My 2 cents

PAUL DALY
8 minutes ago, Julian Aldag said:

Its hard for the hinge rows as the TRX straps come together to be anchored as a single strap. As the strap lengths are so short, there is a force pulling the handles together. With hinge rows, you are trying to externally rotate at the top of the movement fighting this added force. That is why it is harder. 

 Were your shoulders directly under the anchor point? If not, the movement become easier. 

Assuming the anchor points of say a set of rings are set shoulder width apart, you will not really exp much or any movement from hanging. (now if the points are set outside or inside shoulder width, then you will have to use energy to keep them shoulder width) However, if you are above the rings and in a support position, there will be much more movement and stabilization required. 

So likely @PAUL DALY, either your shoulders are not set directly under the single anchor point above you, OR the nature of the TRX straps coming together to give you a little inward force is giving you a little help and making it easier to keep the elbows in a waste less energy.

My 2 cents

my shoulders were at all times directly under the anchor point, so that's not a variable.

 

But your comments re. the single anchor point seem on point. Thanks

 

PAUL DALY
3 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

To add to what you guys already said, the instability of the rings force you to engage your stabilizer muscles in the shoulders, which requires more energy. While you can already feel the difference doing pulling exercises under the rings, the difference is more, way more, apparent when you do pushing exercises above the rings (torso above the rings), such as dips. Anyone who's done pbar dips and ring dips knows what i'm talking about... That's why rings make you much stronger :) 

I'm not sure how TRX straps are less stable than rings? do you mean because of the single anchor point? 

 

Julian Aldag
1 hour ago, PAUL DALY said:

I'm not sure how TRX straps are less stable than rings? do you mean because of the single anchor point? 

They aren't. TRX is more stable. 

The TRX is a decent short term substitute if rings are unavailable. But nothing beats the instability of the rings. And if you want to make your rings workout more difficult, make the straps as long as possible! :icon_twisted: