This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Unable to do diamond frog

Started by Daniel Andersson, July 11, 2018 · 8 Replies · 251 Views

Daniel Andersson

Hi,

I've been doing middle split stretch for a year now and got great results.

But diamond frog is a problem for me, I get hip pain/"bone on bone feeling" and no feeling of muscle stretch. I have tried to modify it, for example lie on my back and push legs out but it doenst seem to improve it. 

All other streches in the series works well.

Do you have any advice? Maybe diamond frog is too advanced for me, is there perhaps some other stretch I can do?

BR/

Daniel

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Daniel, can you post a video of your execution and if possible a picture where you are feeling pain?

Daniel Andersson

Hello,

I made a video of my form. The picture shows about where I feel it.

 

Thankful for any advice!

BR/Daniel

TheEntrepreneurialPatient.jpg

 

image.png

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Daniel,  you can feel tension or pinching here for 2 reasons:

-capsule tightness 

OR

-hips conformation

in the 99.9999% of the cases is the first option BUT I suggest you visit a PT so that you can manage the situation better. I cannot give further suggestions because I do not have enough information.

Isak Tougaard

I have this same problem. What does capsule tightness mean?

Is there a different exercise I can do until I talk to my PT?

Alessandro Mainente
21 minutes ago, Isak Tougaard said:

I have this same problem. What does capsule tightness mean?

Is there a different exercise I can do until I talk to my PT?

Means that the upper extremity of the femoris is not able to move freely and this leads to a restricted range of motion.

Until further information from your PT I cannot give you additional exercises or suggestions because I have no information about the cause of the problem. 

Daniel Andersson

Thanks for your input Alessandro, I will get it checked.

BR/Daniel

Daniel Andersson

Hi @Isak Tougaard and @Alessandro Mainente

I have checked with a physio, they said I have weak stabillity in the hip (knee caves inwards) and gave me some exercises. The exercises are some variations of one leg squats where focus is on keeping the knee out.

Just thought I would follow up with you if interested :)

BR/Daniel

Alessandro Mainente
44 minutes ago, Daniel Andersson said:

Hi @Isak Tougaard and @Alessandro Mainente

I have checked with a physio, they said I have weak stabillity in the hip (knee caves inwards) and gave me some exercises. The exercises are some variations of one leg squats where focus is on keeping the knee out.

Just thought I would follow up with you if interested :)

BR/Daniel

A combination of adductors stretching and the PT exercises will solve the problem.