This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE9 Lunge @ 100% BW - Form Check

Started by Koenraad Van Leemput, July 6, 2018 · 5 Replies · 151 Views

Koenraad Van Leemput

Hi, 

I finally worked up to BW (82,5kg) in the Lunge.  This took some time, as the movement with this weight is very heavy for me.  I know I still need to perfect it and practice further but was wondering if doing it in front rack is acceptable. 

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,
Koen

 

Nick Murray

The coaches will probably comment, but I'd be careful of the amount of lumbar extension you're performing. Sometimes it seems as if you're "leading the push back to standing" with your lower back instead of glutes and hips, especially when you're close to the floor. 

Maybe return to 75% bodyweight for 1 or two sessions and really perfect the form, then try again at 100%.

Damn strong though :)

Koenraad Van Leemput

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your feedback. I see your point and will work on improving this. Probably some intermediate weight is ideal. I found the jump from 75% to 100% to be quite hard.  Going from 60 to 80 does not feel the same as going from 40 to 60 :D

Thx

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nick is correct, you are lifting the hips first while the shoulders and the hips should move in the same time. Dropping down to the 75% is the best solution.

Jin Liu

@Koenraad Van Leemput Just curious, is there a reason why you front rack the weight instead of back rack it? Comparing to back rack, as well as holding the weight in the hands and hang on both sides, front rack gotta be the hardest, no? Wait, the hardest is having the weight overhead, lol! but we are not going there..

Koenraad Van Leemput

@Jin Liu, overhead would definitely be hardest - and also most supremely cool B-).  I'll keep that as a life goal. 

I don't have access to heavy enough dumbbells to hold on both sides and front rack seemed the safest. I wouldn't like to get pinned with a weight on the back. Front is easy to bail out of if needed.  

But I do take the other feedback in mind and will take a step back in weight and keep perfecting the movement.  With 75% I could definitely do back rack. I assume each variant has its advantages.  It's mainly the weight I struggle with :P