This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain after wrist stretches

Started by Darwin Jose, July 4, 2018 · 4 Replies · 123 Views

Darwin Jose

Hi, I tried starting my handstand journey but haven't been able to progress. I get this shooting pain in my right hand for days after I do the preliminary wrist stretches in HS1. Specifically, WRS #2 and the Wall Wrist Walks are the source of the pain. Any thoughts? Thanks 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Darwin, where is located the pain? what type of warm up are you following?

Nick Murray

I imagine you get the pain in the wrist, on the back of the hand.

Here is a suggested way forward:

  1. For now,  don't do 'wall walks", but get into the position for the wall walk and press the back of the hand into the wall AS IF you are trying to straighten the wrist, without actually straightening the wrist.
  2. There must be NO pain at all.
  3. Hold for 10 seconds, shake your hands, repeat 5 more times. GENTLY. Your wrist doesn't move, you're simply tensing up muscles on the back of your forearm.
  4. If the wrist feels ok the next day, repeat this, using the same amount of force, for a week.
  5. Do all the other, non-painful stretches and mobility.

Now start again, but using a bit more force. Again, your wrists should not move.

In week 3, repeat a third time, using enough force to almost do a wall walk, but again your wrists don't move.

In week 4, try a gentle wall walk, but do it with both hands at once (so each wrist bears half the load).

This should acclimatise your wrists. If you are still getting pain in end-range wrist flexion (which is what this position is, anatomically), it might be worth seeing a physio to rule out anything else.

The coaches may also have other ideas.

 

 

Darwin Jose

Thank you both, The pain is in the back of the wrist as Nick suspected. I do think those muscles are in bad shape as I do a lot of repetitive movements (I am a guitarrist). I will try Nick’s suggestion as a means of prehabing the wrist flexors. I do a daily 20 min limber 1st thing in the morning. As a part of my limber routine I do wrist flexor and extensor stretches on the mat; I feel no pain but slight discomfort. It feels as if my wrist is very week when I do the daily stretches. 

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Darwin Jose said:

Thank you both, The pain is in the back of the wrist as Nick suspected. I do think those muscles are in bad shape as I do a lot of repetitive movements (I am a guitarrist). I will try Nick’s suggestion as a means of prehabing the wrist flexors. I do a daily 20 min limber 1st thing in the morning. As a part of my limber routine I do wrist flexor and extensor stretches on the mat; I feel no pain but slight discomfort. It feels as if my wrist is very week when I do the daily stretches. 

Guitarrist like one of my clients. basic approach needs the restore of forearm flexor flexibility and strengthening of the extensors plus a strong stretch of the extensor.