This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Unable to hold positions

Started by Saquib Rahman, July 4, 2018 · 8 Replies · 103 Views

Saquib Rahman

Before I state the issue, I just want to clarify that I have read previous posts. I understand that "Fundamentals" is an introductory course and having mobility deficits is considered normal. And I am only in Day 3 so I know I have to be patient and work through a lot more. Also I am fat (about 20-25kg overweight, mostly around my midsection) so I'll probably be more mobile and flexible as I lose the weight.

But the issue for me is that I can get into every position just fine (somewhat...) but can't hold them for long.

Every single position I have tried, I have been able to do it quite well (except Ape because my thighs are very big due to playing sports with all that extra weight and lifting, I can't sink deep without opening the leg/hips), but cannot hold the Crab and Back Support for long. So is that more of a strength issue? Perhaps my glutes and/or lower back are not strong enough to isometrically hold the contraction? Shoulders feel fine except that I just have to turn my wrist a tiny bit to the sides. Elbow discomfort is natural so I wouldn't call that an issue at the moment.

I always did a lot of static stretching after lifting, so I have gotten my mobility to be much better than my friends, but gymnastics mobility is something else entirely!!!

I apologise if I am being impatient (guilty!), but I just want to do the exercises properly so I am wondering if I should do some basic level strength exercises like glute bridges or arch body holds.

I don't think I am at a stage where I can handle The Thoracic Bridge series. And it may well just fix itself as I lose weight and "relatively" get stronger.

So the real question is- Do I do some strength exercises to compliment the positions I am being taught from Fundamentals? Or do I just wait, lose some weight and see how my body feels afterwards, with no strength exercises yet?

(I'll stop now before I end up repeating myself and put readers off)

Thank you in advance.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Saquib, simply let the body the time to adapt, i would not add more strenght training for now. Remember that bodyweigth training is extremely sensitive for weigth and probably with 20-25 kg less you could hold the position for much more time.

Saquib Rahman

Then I will keep my impatience at bay and just keep doing the current day and previous days' exercises from Fundamentals.

Thank you for the confirmation. When I think of solving deficits in the fitness area, I tend to be too smart for my own good and do more damage in the process :/

Jason Koeppe

Along these lines, I can get into crab position, somewhat, but can't move more than an inch or so without giving out or pain...should I just hold the position or move an inch or so once on each side and call it done?  Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jason where is located the pain?

Jason Koeppe

Hi Alessandro,

Mostly in my wrists, shoulders some and left knee.  I only have pain when i try to move forward and I think it's mostly a lack of strength.  I too am overweight (close to 65 lbs overweight) so moving in that position is a struggle.  

I know my flexibility will increase, just wanting to make sure I do what I can without injury to make it happen as effectively as possible. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jason, especially wrists are a lot stressed due to overweight, you should consider losing some kg's in order to reduce the joint stress. also never push the exercise in the pain range of motion.

Jason Koeppe

Thanks so just static holds then?  

Alessandro Mainente

Static or try to modify a bit some movements in order to reduce the stress on some joints.