This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Why the calf raises?

Started by Darwin Jose, June 28, 2018 · 2 Replies · 190 Views

Darwin Jose

Hi, 

I was wondering what's the purpose of doing the calf raises before doing the ankle work in the Front Split series? Does it have to do with fatiguing one set of muscles so that the opposite muscles are more relaxed for stretching? 

Thanks in advance

Ronnicky Roy

Low leg needs to be warm with blood to get an effective stretch. Other parts of the body can be relatively cold and still stretch effectively. But the lower leg doesn't have its own blood supply so it needs movement to warm up first.

Try stretching your ankle first thing in the morning and you'll feel what I'm talking about.

Darwin Jose

Good to know, I usually stretch my calves in the morning (with the daily limber) and yes, they are so much tighter!

Thanks