This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

1hr Time based Scheduling

Started by Trevor Catterall, June 25, 2018 · 4 Replies · 285 Views

Trevor Catterall

Hello team

I have fallen out of shape, badly. Gained about 7kg since I stopped boxing and doing some gym bodies tipping the scales at about 93kg. I enjoy running now and want to make gains here as I am a novice but I also want to return to gymnastic bodies.

My question is if I train 4 days a week but can only commit to 1hr at a time (possibly with a smaller session after sunday run) what schedule/routine would be best? 

I am poor at the upper body elements (ring rows, pressups i know they’re basics) and may need additional focus here. I have Foundations 1, all of the stretching series, handstand 1and 2, and movement. Should i or can I split (pun intended) the stretching elements? I’m also keen to integrate some of the excellent advice on implementing extra hollow back hold work, jefferson curls and other stretches aimed at desk workers (im sat down most of the day). Information I’ve got from the great Facebook links and emails.

A few years back I struggled to make significant gains training each element only once a week but boxing training was intense and I very much had the no pain no gain mentality. Taking things more steadily with a long term focus is going to be a challenge.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Trevor, now that you are beginning again the GB workout could you remember me what type of schedule did you used? Personally, until your weight is back and for a period of 12-16 weeks i would use the last type of schedule you used.

Trevor Catterall

Thank You Alessandro for replying.

Before i properly joined gymnastic bodies I used the original gym bodies book (loved it) as my guide. I boxed 50-90 minutes 4 times a week. I ran twice a week for 30-40 minutes. After boxing pretty much every time I did wall handstands 10 sets to half of max. I got better at these in the initial sets but never progressed beyond 40secs but form improved with time. I was doing quite a bit of boxing circuit training (pressups, situps, burpees that sort of thing) and got hooked for 10 years

I did about 40 pull ups everyday with the grease the groove method over a year or so; everytime i walked passed my home pullup bar i did set to failure. Eventually i added weights to increase difficulty only getting upto 10kg and never progressing beyond 8 reps a set.

Before I saw the gymnastic bodies programmes online I thought I was doing quite well with the above schedule but then on seeing what people were achieving i thought I could combine it with boxing for the best of both.

So After running i introduced core, legs, upper body following foundation 1 but never getting deep into the programme. Grip strength and arm strength failed me especially my left elbow, legs was the easiest element until my flexibility was found out. I continued with the wall handstands, pull ups and once or twice a week i added dips.

 Stretching was sporadic and I lacked long term consistency. Initially i chose the elements I could do at the gym with minimal equipment that I enjoyed more without following the course guidance schedule.

So I want to do an hour a time and not feel like I’m constantly beaten up. If I thought i was on the right track I’d have taken your advice but I wasn’t on the right track before. I’m older now and can’t sustain that level of intensity.

I would like to Make real gains and learn the importance of temperance and moderation. I’m just not very patient and end up oscillating between too much training and not enough training never making long term sustainable improvements.

Long reply I know but I would welcome any insights.

Alessandro Mainente

I understand your point, as a long time student of GB 

-in 2008,2009,2010 with my own program and GB ideas

-since 2011 with GB program

I can say that beginning with the suggested GB frequency is the key to progress NOT faster...but safely.

my actual condition permits to train harder, often much more compared to my friends who have not followed GB schedule. they are paying now years of non-sense training.

Trevor Catterall

Okay well you’ve pretty much cut through the whole post with this pithy reply.

Seeing that you have yourself experience with similar issues as I it would be remiss of me to ignore your guidance.

Im guessing as one advances schedule setting becomes more personal and that the recommended Coach template is there for a reason - to start building habit and safely progress on establishing a base. 

I will do it. But the stretch series may have to be incorporated into a 9 day week or so as I know I’m not going to getting three sessions in a week. I’ll research the extra stretching material that’s been posted and add that to days I’m not doing a stretch series along with Jefferson Curls and Hollow Hold work. 

Having been here before I know that I’ll have to make changes to the ring row and push-up elements. Patience will be tested as too perseverance where these movements are concerned.

Cheers Alessandro.