This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch Series - Middle Split Question

Started by Brian Smith 333340, June 20, 2018 · 2 Replies · 97 Views

Brian Smith 333340

Hi,

Just started the middle split stretch series and was looking for some advice moving forward.  I have been dealing with some hip instability and low back pain over the past several years and don't feel comfortable with any of the pancake stretches.  I feel like I am bending at my thoracic spine and unable to fold over my hips with a flat back.  Is it ok to bend at the mid back and extend over the hips? Or should I limit the bend over my hips and keep a straight back?

 

Thanks!

Brian

Pauline Taube

Hi Brian,

You should always aim to keep your back straight. I recommend to sit on an elevated surface such as a block, bench or box and only lean as far as you can with a straight back. Feel free to submit a photo or video of the exercise :) 

Brian Smith 333340

Thanks Pauline! I will post a photo/video to show where I am flexing.  I will sit on an elevated surface while performing pancakes, etc for the time being.