This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

workouts per week

Started by Dana Polojarvi, June 18, 2018 · 6 Replies · 303 Views

Dana Polojarvi

Hello,

I just noticed there was a "recommended workout" by Coach Sommer. I was surprised it only had one core, one lower body, one upper body per week. I had been doing three of each MWF. Any thoughts on this? I was always taught that one day rest between workouts with a weekend was good for muscle recuperation.

 

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Dana,

If you were making steady progress and it felt good to be on that schedule then stick with it! If you find you start hitting some sticking points then we can help you make some changes. 

Dana Polojarvi

Awesome, thanks. I'm also curious about why the advice is as it is. Any thoughts on it? Seemed very untraditional to me. But maybe I'm just used to old-fashioned weight training.

Everett Carroll

Hey Dana,

It is simply a good starting point for students to begin training the entire curriculum and for most people, is more than enough volume. As you get more comfortable with the workouts and develop specific Gymnastic Strength Training goals, you can certainly make schedule changes to help you with that further. 

Dana Polojarvi

Cool. Thanks. I may try it for a while and see if I get moving faster. I suppose a full week of recovery helps? I'm also not currently adding in the handstand and movement workouts, so maybe that would train the full body more effectively? thanks again.

Everett Carroll

Yes, you want at least one session per week of all workouts listed to ensure you're balancing mobility, flexibility, skill, and strength work properly. That is the primary reason Coach's schedule is the base recommendation. You can always build off of it later. 

Dana Polojarvi

Cool. Thanks!