This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall handstand form check

Started by Christopher Ha, June 16, 2018 · 6 Replies · 111 Views

Christopher Ha

Thank you for corrections and suggestions!

For good results, how close am I aiming to get my palms to the wall?

Also, occasionally I will feel my lower stomach touch the wall. What cues help with that?

I am trying to think of a straight line from hands, shoulders, hips, and toes by trying to engage abs and glutes

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Christopher, please post a form check with hands approximately at 12-15 cm from the wall. SIDE VIEW PLEASE.

Christopher Ha
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Christopher, please post a form check with hands approximately at 12-15 cm from the wall. SIDE VIEW PLEASE.

Side view:

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christopher after seeing and evaluating a lot of handstands on GB and on gymnast I have the clear impression of a lack of mobility. I need to ask you to post the mastery of all the previous IM's, from the first one.

Christopher Ha
On 6/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Christopher after seeing and evaluating a lot of handstands on GB and on gymnast I have the clear impression of a lack of mobility. I need to ask you to post the mastery of all the previous IM's, from the first one.

Clip 1 of 4:

 

Clip 2 of 4

 

Clip 3 of 4:

Clip 4 of 4:

 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your submission. As Alex mentioned lack of mobility makes it hard for you to get into the correct alignment when doing handstands. I recommend to refine all these iMs for some time. You may also consider to do the Thoracic Bridge series if you are not doing it already. This course will help you improve you shoulder flexion and extension which are absolutely necessary in order to progress with your handstand training. 

On the first iM (clip 4) you want to elevate your shoulders, pull your ribs in and aim for a 45 degree lean before you narrow the grip. The goal is to be able to do this with good form and about shoulder width apart with your hands.

Clip 3: shoulder extension, the second grip i correct here. Your goal is to be able to lift the bar to shoulder height. 

Clip 1 and 2: I recommend to work more specifically on mobility before doing these. Here you want to make sure to keep a nice hollow body and avoiding to arch the low back.

I hope this helps. Pleas let us know if you have any further questions.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Christopher, as I was suspecting you are not showing the mastery in all the previous IM, and you need to step back.

Also, i noticed that you made only 6 posts until now, this means that you did not post other form checks. Next time consider to post early, all the work you did until now wasn't enough.