This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Prefer deeper or longer on inverted pike pulls (pHS PE1>iM)?

Started by Mark Birbeck, June 16, 2018 · 4 Replies · 89 Views

Mark Birbeck

Hello all,

I've been trying different distances between hands and feet on the inverted pike pulls. This is because the bars I'm using are just playground bars so the gaps are quite large. The effect is that with the narrow range I get a *very* deep stretch, and there is more weight on my arms--so the whole thing is more difficult to maintain for too long. I also find that my recovery when I used to do 5 reps of this was a bit slow:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFTCtjGv5Xi2Gfi3A

If I increase the distance I can hold the stretch for much longer and because of the angles, there's less body weight to hold up. The stretch on my legs is quite mild, and I actually get quite a nice stretch along my back. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ELfmvEJiymWcTMA28

I realise I have to get to the narrower position eventually if I'm to get horizontal, but I'm wondering what the best route is.

Is there any benefit to doing at least *some* of 'easier' version?

Or should I just 'suck it up' and focus on the 'harder' version even if the duration of the hold is less, for now?

Thanks for any pointers.

Everett Carroll

Hey Mark, 

Stay on the milder of the two until you're bored out of your mind because you're not getting any stretch. That's when you know for sure you'll be ready for more. 

Keep work on reaching long through your torso. Get as flat and compressed as possible. 

These are amazing stretches and you can get so much out of each step if you're patient. Maximize each position before moving your hands and feet closer.

Mark Birbeck

That's great advice, thanks @Everett Carroll.

Mark Birbeck

I just stumbled across a form check that I put in the forums back in January and I'm quite pleased to see the difference between then and now. I used to use the 'narrow' version for all 5 reps but as I said above, my recovery time was quite poor--I would be hobbling around for two or three days afterwards!

I'm still going to be following your advice @Everett Carroll (i.e., using the 'wider' version) but I was so surprised at the progress that I couldn't resist posting. ;) 

 

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 22.13.29.png

Everett Carroll

This is awesome progress Mark! B-)