This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN or SL

Started by Thomas Hanssen, June 11, 2018 · 5 Replies · 133 Views

Thomas Hanssen

So heres the dilemma, if I do the SL before the MN series my Quads fatigue and i get little to zero effect of the next exercise. Or vice versa

I am currently on MN 7 and SL10, and after looking in the library it doesn't seem to get any easier at first.

So what to do? Can i cycle the two, like change every other time which to do first. Or do them on separate days? Ive been doing them 2 times a week for the last year

Everett Carroll

Hey Thomas,

You should be able to handle those on the same day, no matter the order. If the quality of work on the second exercise trained drops significantly, then you're not yet prepared for the steps and/or movements. My first recommendation is to submit form checks for all of your core work. From there, we can start discussing appropriate steps and progressions for your current strength level. The goal is to find exercises, sets, and reps that you can complete without issue. 

Thomas Hanssen

Okay I see. Its just that the quads and hip flexor fatigue before the abdominal muscles. So i dont feel like the abs get the work they deserve. Lately i been doing the MN series before the SL and having some success with this. 

I submitted form check about a year ago, seemed okay, so just have to stick with it. Or should I do some extra work for the quad and hip, like pracitise som Lsits on off days?

Alessandro Mainente

Probably I would only do more stretch for the hamstring so that the quads will need less strength to stretch them in the exercise.

Ronnicky Roy

Do Sidelever first. From a muscular synergy standpoint for overall core training the best set order is:
Transverse Abdominis > Obliques > Lower abs > Upper abs. 
Because you can't really just isolate your TvA. You use the other core muscles in order to effectively train the TvA. You use all your core muscles when training the TvA. Gas the other muscles and TvA work is negatively affected, while if you do it first you are still working the others effectively and following work is just extra on top. Same goes for obliques in relation to your lower abs, when training lower abs you're training upper abs aswell. I'd say to be safe you can try relaxing your hip flexors during or after oblique work so their involvement is minimized when you're trying to target the obliques and lower abs.

Thomas Hanssen

So yesterday i did the SL series before the MN and didn't have to much in the tank for the Manna series. Quads cramp up and drop down. Doesn't feel it to much in the Tva or ABS either. So its like 8 sets for the quads to times a week which is 16 in total, maybe a bit excess for an old fart...

So heres my cents, these two exercises just feels like they are too similar to me. Its like doing incline bench press  before regular bench press, or vice versa. Cant wait until I'm one the full windshield wipers;)

Its random how the program ends up sometimes, if I were to do arch holds first this would not be an issue...