This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Comments on lower back position on MN/PE5, please

Started by Mark Birbeck, June 9, 2018 · 2 Replies · 50 Views

Mark Birbeck

Hi there,

I've been mainly focused on getting the volume up of my MN/PE5 and I'm now doing 6x5r on each session. More recently I've also been trying to get my toes more pointed, although this is a bit tricky on the structure I'm using because it's not quite tall for me to begin the movement with pointed toes. But anyway I'll work on that.

What this question is mostly about is my lower back position. Just some background; in the video it might not be obvious, but the platform which my shoulders are positioned against protrudes in front of the bars. So my lower back would obviously not remain in contact with the bars anyway. However, what I'm wondering (now that I've watched my video and the GST videos a few more times) is whether, even accounting for the platform sticking out, my lower back is still moving too much?

And if so, is the solution to just slow the reps down (and possibly end up not getting the full range of motion for a while)?

Or will I need something behind me for the lower back to rest against to take away the effect of the platform pushing into my shoulders?

Here's my first set of 5r:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mbBCWsjD59RGq7dv7

And here's my last (6th) set of 5r, plus the iM:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VoMLuAyU2EnTqSeV9

Thanks for any comments

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark this is not bad, try to relax in the shoulders so that you can reduce the amount of intervention of the lats that basically leads to your hips move out of the bar.

Mark Birbeck

Thanks for getting back so quickly @Alessandro Mainente .

And great advice...thanks. I look forward to trying it out next week. :)