This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cossack squat

Started by Leonardo Moreno Urbieta, June 6, 2018 · 11 Replies · 199 Views

Leonardo Moreno Urbieta

Hello, so I'm now doing the cossack squat/twisting squat exercises.

My problem is that I can't go down into the squat low enough until I raise my heel from the ground. I see in the videos that the heel raises a little bit, but in my case, I have to raise it a lot more in order to go lower. I guess my Achilles tendon is too tight.

Is this acceptable? Or should I continue doing this exercise until I can go into the squat with the heel completely flat on the ground.

Thank you,

Leonardo

Everett Carroll

Hey Leonardo,

Great question. Lift your heel for now, but work on eventually being able to achieve full ROM with it down. The Front Split Series will help you improve your ankle mobility. Please feel free to post a form check video as well. 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Leonardo Moreno Urbieta said:

Hello, so I'm now doing the cossack squat/twisting squat exercises.

My problem is that I can't go down into the squat low enough until I raise my heel from the ground. I see in the videos that the heel raises a little bit, but in my case, I have to raise it a lot more in order to go lower. I guess my Achilles tendon is too tight.

Is this acceptable? Or should I continue doing this exercise until I can go into the squat with the heel completely flat on the ground.

Thank you,

Leonardo

if it is an achilles tendon problem you should not be able to perform a squat with legs together.

Leonardo Moreno Urbieta

Hi again. Sorry for the super late response.

Everett, here's a video of me performing the exercise:

Indeed Alessandro, I can't manage to do a squat with my legs together and stay in the low position. I managed to do all the previous exercises since it wasn't required to stay in that position. What should I do? I'm currently also doing the front split series.

Thank you and any feedback will be really appreciated,

Leonardo

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Leonardo. probably your feet are too closer. strive to double the shoulder width distance with your feet.

Leonardo Moreno Urbieta
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Leonardo. probably your feet are too closer. strive to double the shoulder width distance with your feet.

Thank you. Will focus on this tomorrow then.

Devon Devine

Thanks for this thread. I am stuck on this also,  struggling to get the full ROM. Sounds like its worth doing some reps even with imperfect ROM (i.e. lifting heel a bit). 

Nick Murray

Spend 10 seconds at least in the squat at each end. It is my opinion that too much time is spent in the transition from one side to another.

 

Petra Dvorak

It also looks like you have pretty tight adductors, or am i wrong?

Leonardo Moreno Urbieta

Indeed Devon. It seems that working with the stretch series is also necessary. 

Leonardo Moreno Urbieta

Will do that Nick. Thank you. 

Leonardo Moreno Urbieta
On 30/6/2018 at 2:17 PM, Petra Dvorak said:

It also looks like you have pretty tight adductors, or am i wrong?

HI Petra. Yes, my adductors are pretty tight. And they're better now with the stretch series. Still a long way to go. Any suggestions for me to improve? Thank you.