This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How many times a day do we eat?

Started by Mateja Lovsin, June 5, 2018 · 6 Replies · 234 Views

Mateja Lovsin

Hello,

I have a question about eating frequency. I see that the tasks are split into breakfast, dinner, and lunch, so I assume we're supposed to eat 3 meals a day. Is that correct? Should we also eat snacks like fruit or nuts in between or should we only eat the three times? If not three times, how many times should we eat per day? Should we aim to eat more for breakfast, less for lunch, and the least for dinner, or should we eat about the same amount each day? How far apart should the meals be spaced? How soon before going to bed should we eat dinner? 

I know that these questions might seem really obvious to some, but I'm pretty new to nutrition and actually don't know what to do here. So I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Mateja,

The majority of this is covered throughout the course. For now, focus on the assigned tasks. During the 2nd half of the course, many of your questions will be answered and the stuff that isn't can be discussed in more detail after you have the basics dialed in. 

Mateja Lovsin

Hello Everett,

thanks for your response, I understand. I'm executing the tasks so far perfectly without any problems, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew (no pun intended). However, I've had some really awful habits for a few years now (for example, I've been training for 4 years all throughout my high school, but I'd still only eat once a day), so I'd appreciate if you can just clear up the beginner questions that we are probably supposed to know even before we start the course. I don't want to worry with the advanced stuff yet, just the basic info that most of the people already knew even before starting this course.

Because I see I get breakfast, dinner, and lunch tasks, I assume we're supposed to eat 3 times. Is that right? And they should be spaced out about evenly? And they should also be about the same size?

The reason I'm asking is, I think this is connected to the tasks we're being given, and it affects how well I'm executing them. If I don't have all the info, I feel in the dark, and not as confident about what I'm doing. So I understand where you're coming from, and trust me, I'll be able to handle all that info with the current one. I actually think knowing this would help me because I'd be more confident in what I'm doing right now. So I hope you can clear that up for me=)

Alessandro Mainente

There are too many personal factors. I can do 3 big meal but for sure one of them it is not possible before the sleep due to my slow digestion. but it is personal.

Everett Carroll

Hey Mateja, 

You're definitely going to want to eat 3 meals per day and, for now, keep it simple and eat them when it makes sense for your schedule. Eat breakfast sometime in the AM, lunch in the afternoon, and dinner in the evening. You can literally space them out however you like; you cannot go wrong with this at this stage in the course. 

Meal size is covered in the second half of the course. Keep it simple and focus on the general consumption of the items in your tasks. Portions will be addressed later.  

I've glanced at your current progress and, at this point in the course, as long as you drink 1 liter of water a day, eat a healthy fat in the morning, and a vegetable at lunch, you're set. It might feel too open ended for now, but that's how the course is designed. It builds off these basic tasks. Years of bad habits are not going to be corrected overnight so keep going with the course and you'll soon have an entire day of healthy eating locked in. Until then, don't stress. Simply do your best.

Mateja Lovsin

Ok, thanks!

James Strack

In Dr. Jason Fung's the Obesity Code book, he talks about how the country of France has one of the lowest obesity rates and that they don't eat breakfast for the most part they drink coffee in the morning.  Breakfast is something the food industry created to sell sugary treats in the morning.

I drink black coffee in the morning for my breakfast.  I highly recommend his book it however, goes against the lower calorie move more theory that most dietitians are bound too.

The book https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight/dp/1536682187