This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hanging Leg lift equipment subs

Started by Christopher Denzer, May 30, 2018 · 11 Replies · 166 Views

Christopher Denzer

Hey forum:

Has anyone found a good way to do hanging leg lifts without stall bars? I tried using the pull up bar on a power rack with a barbell set at shoulder height, but the barbell being offset in front of the pull up bar yanks my arms back and is painful. I'm regressing back to these after struggling with compression on the L-sit progression.

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Christopher,

Ive had great success by looping a ring strap around the left and right post of a squat rack.  This allows you to perform this without the bar stabbing your upper back. You can also have a training partner hold you in place.

Christopher Denzer

Genius! I’ll give that a shot right away.

Luke Searra

Let us know if you need any more help Christopher.

Christopher Denzer

While we're on the subject of equipment subs: I've lost access to parallel bars on which to do L-sits recently. I tried using a couple of dumbbells on top of two plyo boxes and it felt totally different, ie harder :facepalm:, though I'm not too sure why. Anybody had success with another setup?

Alessandro Mainente

Maybe the grip is different?

Christopher Denzer

@Alessandro Mainente, yeah maybe. I'll come back to them in a while. @Mikey Cunanan, I did a couple V-to-Ls on the setup you recommended, which provides perfect shoulder support. The issue is just my shoulders, I think. Something about that position just hurts like hell at the top of my shoulder caps. I've been doing the Thoracic Bridge series once a week for over a year now, but has anyone got any additional suggestions on how to open up that position? Maybe I just need to see a physio again. :(

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

@Alessandro Mainente, yeah maybe. I'll come back to them in a while. @Mikey Cunanan, I did a couple V-to-Ls on the setup you recommended, which provides perfect shoulder support. The issue is just my shoulders, I think. Something about that position just hurts like hell at the top of my shoulder caps. I've been doing the Thoracic Bridge series once a week for over a year now, but has anyone got any additional suggestions on how to open up that position? Maybe I just need to see a physio again. :(

for specific question about bridge please use the appropriate private subforum.

Christopher Denzer

thanks, @Alessandro Mainente, but my question isn't about TB, it's about Hanging Leg Raises and shoulder pain in that hanging position.

Alessandro Mainente
10 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

thanks, @Alessandro Mainente, but my question isn't about TB, it's about Hanging Leg Raises and shoulder pain in that hanging position.

it can depend on the range of motion of the shoulder. for this reason, i asked to post in the bridge section.

Alan Tseng

If you're using a barbell on a power rack (and hanging off a pullup bar), and the barbell is in front, what you can do is turn the j-hook to the opposite side.

Luke Searra

@Alan Tseng, @Christopher Denzer, You can use the pullup rig support against your back and put your hand either side of the main rack support. This will be more mechanically stable since the bars do not rotate as well as providing back support similar to actual Stahl bars.