This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow limitations

Started by Ryan Walker, May 27, 2018 · 7 Replies · 144 Views

Ryan Walker

I have struggled with elbow tendinitis for a few years. I have made a ton of progress, but my elbows limit a lot of movements in this series. I feel it’s a tightness in my biceps (and some forearms) that the issue.

coach makes a comment about being carefull with pushing through any pain in the elbows. I don’t feel like I’m getting the shoulder stretch like is intended. Should I continue with minor pain in my elbows or address my elbows another way and come back.

Pauline Taube

Hi Ryan,

I am sorry to hear about your tendinitis. If you are feeling any pain during the stretches I recommend to ease off the intensity a bit. It's completely normal to experience discomfort when doing the stretches, but there should be no pain

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Ryan Walker said:

I have struggled with elbow tendinitis for a few years. I have made a ton of progress, but my elbows limit a lot of movements in this series. I feel it’s a tightness in my biceps (and some forearms) that the issue.

coach makes a comment about being carefull with pushing through any pain in the elbows. I don’t feel like I’m getting the shoulder stretch like is intended. Should I continue with minor pain in my elbows or address my elbows another way and come back.

Where is located the problem? inner elbow? i mean distal tendon problem?

Ryan Walker
56 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Where is located the problem? inner elbow? i mean distal tendon problem?

Golfers elbow or inside on both elbow, but one side is a little worse. It’s a old overuse injury from my Crossfit Days. I have worked hard to resolve the problem and GB has helped a lot. I would say it’s pretty minor now and may never totally go way. I’m just not sure if these stretches will help or aggravate it. Thanks

Luke Searra

Ryan, I have found high rep, light bicep curls do wonders for most of my athlete's elbows. Of course, you need to do them consistently around your GST.

Alessandro Mainente

There is 2 main phase of the tendon problem:

1-inflammation with evidence of satellites cells

2-inflammation with NO evidence of satellites cells

The first situation is linked to new injuries and here the work suggests by luke can be a good friend.

in the second case, the full rest is necessary for a minimum of the period.

Did you have a specific imaging test? like MRi?

Ryan Walker
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

There is 2 main phase of the tendon problem:

1-inflammation with evidence of satellites cells

2-inflammation with NO evidence of satellites cells

The first situation is linked to new injuries and here the work suggests by luke can be a good friend.

in the second case, the full rest is necessary for a minimum of the period.

Did you have a specific imaging test? like MRi?

 No MRI, but my injury is almost 2 years old. I stopped all pulling for a long time and I have been in a “rehab phase” for almost a year. This inhury is the reason I started GST and It has really helped. I do a lot of wrist stretches and strengthing for the handstand, but honestly haven’t really addressed above the elbow. That’s why I felt the series woukd help me out, but worried it could be a little too much to early.

i have been doing rows, but light curls sound like a good idea. Thanks again 

Alessandro Mainente

You should take a MRI, i got a distal bicep tendon in the past but after 2-3 months of stop, the elbows was healed completely. my suggestion is to have an MRI in order to see the degree of tendon fibers disorganization. if after 2 years your elbow is still injured probably your rehab protocol was wrong.