This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder mobility - Targetted workout

Started by Paul Wallbridge, May 27, 2018 · 2 Replies · 97 Views

Paul Wallbridge

Hi folks,

I’ve been having a few shoulder (and knee) problems over the last year and am trying to put together a program to improve them both in mobility and strength. I have a solid program for the gym but am looking for feedback on a mobility and functional strength program that I can do a few times a week.

My main aim is not to achieve the bridge but enable me to compete in Javelin competitions to my fullest at the age of 38, knee recovery (patella tendinopathy) permitting.

my thoughts are to use elements from the bridge routine that focus purely shoulder mobility and couple these with the the first few sets from the handstand series up to the dislocates. I will probably only remove the full bridge positions and band pulls (I don’t have stall bars or bands) for now. Are there any things that I could supplement with to get even better improvements?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Pauline Taube

Hi Paul,

its hard to give you any specific suggestions without knowing your limitations. I I highly recommend to get an in person assessment from a physio or other medical professional. They will be able to find what you will have to improve to perform better in your sport. Then you may focus on those stretches that will target these areas :) 

Paul Wallbridge

Thanks Pauline.

It’s mostly lack of mobility due to being out of throwing and gymnastics for a long period (20 yrs). In the interim I mainly did cycling to a regional level and then office work, so suffer from tight pecs and poor range of movement (for sports, although probably better than normal average).

My main issue is speed of recovery from post-training ache - not what it was when I was <30!

I’m hoping that improving mobility will help with recovery as the tendons and muscles will not be stretched to or beyond their normal capacity.

i have an osteo appt ina couple of weeks so will ask his opinion as well.