Hey community, is it unusual to be able to crank out a few pullups after being able to perform decline rows for reps? Also are foot supported pullups okay to work on in conjunction with different row variations?
Pull-Ups
Started by Joaquin Malagon, May 24, 2018 · 10 Replies · 3,992 Views
Also is there a horizontal pulling variation that heavily stresses the lats?
10 hours ago, Joaquin Malagon said:Hey community, is it unusual to be able to crank out a few pullups after being able to perform decline rows for reps? Also are foot supported pullups okay to work on in conjunction with different row variations?
The primary goal of rowing variation is to prepare the grip and the primary elbow flexor, this preparation must be achieved prior to the pullup approach. so finish the rowing variation then approach the pullup.
Rowing movements work many of the same muscle groups as pullups so if you work rowing movements with intensity and then move right on to pullups then your ability to perform pullups will be compromised. Similar to doing heavy bench presses and then moving right to dips.
Joaquin, by foot supported pull-ups, do you mean someone holding your feet or using a band?
To clear up any confusion I didn't mean doing pullups right after rows, but rather that doing rows can allow you to do pullups. @Luke Searra By foot supported I meant doing a pullup with the feet resting on a surface, sort of like bench dips.
On 05/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, Joaquin Malagon said:To clear up any confusion I didn't mean doing pullups right after rows, but rather that doing rows can allow you to do pullups. @Luke Searra By foot supported I meant doing a pullup with the feet resting on a surface, sort of like bench dips.
Well then from that perspective, yes doing rows can help in your ability to do pullups. Unless of course you do them right before pullups.
Joaquin, yes, ring rows will absolutely give the pre-requisite strength to do Pull-ups, as well as having strength carryover into other elements like legless rope climbs. Having your feet on a surface is definitely one way to scale the pull-ups, just as you could by using negative pull-ups. The eventual goal of course would be to use less and less strength in the supporting legs so that you can eventually do the pull-ups with no support.
Oh okay that makes perfect sense, also one more question. For rows at least, must we retract the scapula first prior to pulling or can we retract as we pull? Which one gives the most benefit? The reason I ask is because that is how I have been doing my toes but now I am unsure if it the proper way to do them.
13 hours ago, Joaquin Malagon said:Oh okay that makes perfect sense, also one more question. For rows at least, must we retract the scapula first prior to pulling or can we retract as we pull? Which one gives the most benefit? The reason I ask is because that is how I have been doing my toes but now I am unsure if it the proper way to do them.
The bottom position should have the depression plus a neutral position of the scapulae that has the most benefits in terms of stabilization.
Great! This is how I have been doing them