HI Im working on my Tripod HS PE1 4 x 48sec hold. I do this 3 times a week and recently my neck has gotten really painful and I feel as though I have caused some sort of compression. Its super stiff and tight around both sides, right one shoots down all the way to my scapula and I feel a choking type of tightness around my neck. My pecs are also super tight as well as my shoulders. I've had it adjusted by an Osteopath but hasn't really helped. Should I take a break from tripod or regress to my 36sec holds instead. It was starting to feel really good hence I progressed to the 48sec but now its giving me lots of discomfort. Please help
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Tripod practice - Sore neck and traps
Started by Patrycja Witkowska, May 22, 2018 · 6 Replies · 149 Views
Patrycja,
Without seeing the form through video it's difficult to say exactly what you might be doing incorrectly (if it's form, or if it is a possible pre-existing cervical injury. Please send us a video so we can more accurately help you.
We are not medical professionals Patrycja so we do not give any kinds of medical advice or diagnosis. That being said usually when you feel any kinf of electricity it has something to do with nerves. In this case possibly a pinched nerve or something else, which you should definitely get checked out by a medical professional to conclusively understand what's happening in your neck before continuing your Tripod practice.
Now that that's out of the way, I would rather you adjust the head of yoru position so that it is more of your forehead against the floor as opposed to the top if your head. If your forehead is against the floor it creates a straighter line with your spine, puts the on of the hardest parts of your head against the floor, and will give you more control and balance. All said and done, well done on your progress so far, as well as your consistent training.
Please go get your neck checked out before continuing any further with this specific progression, and keep us up to date with the diagnosis. It might be as simple as getting an adjustment and it could dissapear.
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll adjust head position as instructed. Cheers
Hey Patrycia, before giving more suggestions I would ask you IF your week schedule contemplates 3 sessions for handstand one.
now if yes probably you should reduce the frequency.
if no, the following question is why didn't you followed the suggested frequency?
Yes, I’ve been practising 3 x a week since April, it has been fine up until this week so I just kept going with it. I might cut it down to 2 now given the circumstances.