This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weekly Workout schedules

Started by Athanasios Rovos, May 20, 2018 · 11 Replies · 536 Views

Athanasios Rovos

Hello! In the Weekly workout schedules from the Introduction section, I noticed that the Front lever exercise is included with the Upper body exercises while Manna and Side lever are worked with legs. Is this a misprint? Can someone explain me the logic of this?  Thank you!
 

Alessandro Mainente

hi Athanasios, simply the front lever is primarily a pulling exercise where lats and other synergist muscles are working together. in manna and side like the major part of the work is due to the core. basically, no front lever can be done without pulling muscles while no correct manna and side lever can be done without core muscles preparation.

Craig Copeland

Athanasios:

I think GB needs to update its website materials -- those splits (FL/sPL/HBP/RC and MN/SL/SLS) no longer apply, as far as I know.  (Athanasios was, I think, looking at this page https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-schedules/)  Those were the recommended splits before Coach Sommer and crew updated the course curriculum (in August 2016, I think).  Since that update, the courses have been divided into Core (FL, SL, and MN), Upper Body (sPL, RC, HBP), and Lower Body (SLS).

David Lynch

I was wondering about this myself...has caused a lot of confusion and a couple of hours running through the website trying to tie it together.  Thanks Craig for that explanation.  I think on that basis I'll calendar in Upper Body for Mon/Thu, Lower Body & Core for Tue/Fri and Handstand for Wed/Sat to begin with and see how it goes...and if I survive the first week........ :)

Benjamin Nutt
10 hours ago, David Lynch said:

I was wondering about this myself...has caused a lot of confusion and a couple of hours running through the website trying to tie it together.  Thanks Craig for that explanation.  I think on that basis I'll calendar in Upper Body for Mon/Thu, Lower Body & Core for Tue/Fri and Handstand for Wed/Sat to begin with and see how it goes...and if I survive the first week........ :)

If you're just starting out, it's generally best to use @Coach Sommer's recommended schedule where you're hitting each workout once per week. Try that for a while, see how you're progressing, then add more if you feel like you'd benefit from it.

In Coach's own words: "you can always do more tomorrow, but you can't undo it if you do too much today."

Petra Kmecová
On 9. 8. 2018 at 9:58 AM, David Lynch said:

I was wondering about this myself...has caused a lot of confusion and a couple of hours running through the website trying to tie it together.  Thanks Craig for that explanation.  I think on that basis I'll calendar in Upper Body for Mon/Thu, Lower Body & Core for Tue/Fri and Handstand for Wed/Sat to begin with and see how it goes...and if I survive the first week........ :)

Hey @David Lynch.

I used that schedule for a while... long while in fact and it worked very good for me.

At first I tried to do additional sets or reps every workout, but this was too much for me. Later I decided to push myself only on mondays to wednesdays sessions and do thursdays to saturdays only as prescribed (sets and reps) and I've always hit easy smiley face at the end of the week's session. This worked really well for me. At least I'm happy with the progress it enabled. 

These days, as I progressed in core exercises and get to those that recruit posterior chain muscles and quads, I'm no longer able to complete legs workout after core workout... So I moved legs after handstands for now and it feels much better. 

Sebastian Garza T

This was very helpful! What about integrating stretch workouts? Seems like it's too much if I add the 3 stretch workouts to the foundation and handstand workouts. What do you recommend?

Alessandro Mainente

It is not too much, they are different. how many days are you training now?

Benjamin Nutt
11 hours ago, Sebastian Garza T said:

This was very helpful! What about integrating stretch workouts? Seems like it's too much if I add the 3 stretch workouts to the foundation and handstand workouts. What do you recommend?

I add in Stretch a few different times:

1. In the evening. this is my preferred timeframe. It's a nice way to wind down from a long day.

2. On the weekends. I just have more time to train on weekends.

3. After Leg workouts. Leg workouts tend to be the shortest since you're just training one movement. Leaves plenty of time to stretch.

4. After Handstand workouts. These tend to be my second shortest workouts, so they're a good time to stretch as well.

Hope this helps!

Sebastian Garza T

Thanks Benjamin and Alessandro. I can workout everyday and I started following Coach Sommers recommended setting:

Monday: Core

Tuesday: Middle Spilt

Wednesday: Lower Body and Front Split

Thursday: Upper Body

Friday: Handstand and Thorasic Bridge

Saturday: Movement

 

I feel like the week is to concentrated on stretching and I would rather fit in one more core and one more upper body workout during the week, but I don't want to deviate from the coach recommended schedule. After reading this thread, I was thinking on modifying to:

Monday: Core

Tuesday: Upper body/ Middle Spilt

Wednesday: Handstand / Lower Body  

Thursday: Core / Front Split  

Friday: Upper Body 

Saturday: Handstand / Thorasic Bridge

Sunday: Movement 

 

But I am not sure if it is too much load and I don't need it to progress. Any other suggestions to progress in the right timeframe?

On another note and out of curioisity, How many years does an avereage 40 yr old take to get to mastery of all progressions? (Fairly fit and 15% body fat.)

thanks for taking the time to answer

Alessandro Mainente

You need to consider an additional session for some exercise of foundations only if you are unable to progress.

Sebastian Garza T

Sounds fair. The confusion comes from the recomendation in the introduction, and the recomendation in the dashboard.