This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My weekly schedule, opinions and recommendations please

Started by Rayyan Abdulwahed, May 15, 2018 · 4 Replies · 297 Views

Rayyan Abdulwahed

Hey everyone! 

I just completed the one month fundamentals program and am now moving into foundation one. I would very much appreciate any opinions and recommendations regarding my weekly schedule. I am very motivated to create a solid workout program to achieve the best results with long term benefits. my daily workouts will be split into morning stretches and afternoon workouts. I plan on stretching for at least 45 minutes everyday. 

Sunday :            Thoracic Bridge stretch      -      Foundation 1 Core.
Monday:            Custom Stretch 45mins     -      HIIT Swimming.
Tuesday:           Middle Split Stretch            -      Foundation 1 Lower body.
Wednesday:      Custom Stretch 45min      -      HIIT Jump Rope.
Thusrday:          Front Split stretch               -      Foundation 1 Upper body.
Friday:                Custom Stretch 45min       -     HIIT Swimming.
Saturday:           Custom Stretch 45min       -     REST.

Please let me know whether this is a good schedule and whether you would change anything.

Thank you! 

P.S I love the Gymnastics bodies community!  

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Rayyan I like it, one modification. On Friday you are down HIIT on swimming probably the following day you will be a bit tight on the shoulders and abs. consider the idea of inserting a couple of TB stretch series on Saturday!

David Markey

To avoid injury, would it be better to put the workouts in the morning and do the stretches in the afternoon?

I've read that across a number of different programs (work 1st, stretch 2nd), and I recall Coach Sommer mentioning it during one of the Splits workout videos.

Luke Searra

David if it's long duration static stretching which (depending on the specific stretch), will stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest) - which obviously you do not want to stimulate before lifting heavy weights or working out (at least according to physiotherapists at the Beijing Olympics). This is all case by case stretch dependant. The best rule of thumb is to avoid long duration static stretches for the general calming and relaxing effect before workouts. This will not be true for dynamic types of stretching which are generally better as warm ups. Yes, put long duration stretches AFTER your HIIT/GB workouts.

Benjamin Nutt

Yes, @David Markey, always do long duration stretches AFTER other training. Short duration stretches (10-15s) are fine for warming up your normal ROM. Long duration stretches (60-120s) serve the purpose of relieving tension and improving your ROM over time.