This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE2 iM lacking... sadly lacking....

Started by Bronwyn Higgins, May 11, 2018 · 4 Replies · 166 Views

Bronwyn Higgins

 

Here I am with a 12lb bar. Hands are fairly narrow, just wider than shoulders. I have been doing “hands behind” stretch from TBSs, but its not getting much better. Any ideas to get further along? Wider? Less weight? Spend more time stretching? Stay here and maintain headstand until shoulders are more pliable? 

Thanks! 

André Timotheatos

Hi,

I'm stuck at this one also for some weeks now. I'm getting better at it but very slowly. I use a stick without weight and trying to get that ROM before adding weight. I also stretch that mouvement using a stall bar where I put my hands shoulder height and playing with the ROM. I came on this forum like you to see if people have some advices for faster progression.

See ya and good luck !

Benjamin Haas

From what I have seen from the coaches, it would be better for you to widen your grip on the bar to the point where you can lift your arms up to the final position (parallel with the floor).  Then work over time to narrow your grip until you make it to shoulder width.

Also, start with an unweighted bar.  Once you have finished the above with the unweighted bar, then add weight to the bar slowly (you may have to go back to a wider grip distance on the bar and narrow it to shoulder width again over time).

I'm down to shoulder width from 3x shoulder width over several months, I have a ways to go (need to add weight) but I can feel the progress.

Everett Carroll

Hey Bronwyn,

Benjamin's advice is spot on. Start with a wide grip and with a very light bar. Build up to lifting the bar to shoulder height, slightly reduce the width of the grip (without changing weight), and repeat until you're at shoulder width. Once you achieve shoulder width, add a little more weight to the bar and start wide again. Repeat the process and don't advance in progression until you can do this with at least 5 pounds on the bar. 

Bronwyn Higgins

Makes sense. Thanks guys! Love being able to ask on the forum!