This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic Spine Issues - Help!

Started by Stephanie Seckington, May 9, 2018 · 1 Replies · 95 Views

Stephanie Seckington

Hi, I am  new to GB and desperately looking for some guidance please? I am flexible and bendy lower body but suffer with very tight and immobile thoracic spine to the point where I am in pain even trying to do the TB stretch programme early on. So the first stretch the rocking table tops actually feel painful as my shoulders and T Spine so tight and restricted movement. I suffer with a kyphotic spine and do use a foam roller and stretch but I wondered if anyone can guide me on where to start safely and how to build up to this? My dream would be to do a bridge again ( I was a bit of a gymnast as a kid!) I'm now 48 and a PT so I am very active but this T Spine issue is really holding me back? Wasn't sure If anyone could offer me any advice please?

Nick Murray

It might be a good idea to see a physical therapist who can do some mobilisations on your thoracic spine, testing the backbend after each 5 minutes of treatment, then spending a LOT of time in a backbent position with PPT.

The mobilisations involve gliding the rear of each spinal segment forwards relative to the one underneath. It needs training to do properly, hence the suggestion for the physical therapist.

Also, phone beforehand and ensure the person you see either understands gymnastics/is a gymnast/was a gymnast (or circus performer). So they have a clue about what you want to achieve.