This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake and Hip Subluxation

Started by Bill Marr, May 7, 2018 · 2 Replies · 67 Views

Bill Marr

Hey Alessandro: I just read something you wrote a while back where you said legs should be between 90 and 110 degrees when doing a pancake in APT. I do a pancake daily as part of my daily limber and have getting lower and lower over the past few month. I am approaching chest to the ground with APT. Friday when do this I heard a popping sound and felt a clunk-like vibration through my body, along with a dull pain in my right hip area.  When I described this to a friend who is a professor of kinesioloy and an athletic therapist, he said I likely experienced a hip subluxation, where the femur temporarily popped out and back into the hip joint.

At the time -- and throughout my daily limbers -- I have had my legs at an angle more like 120 - 130 degrees. Could that be a cause of this subluxation given the new depth I am starting to reach? 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Bill, it is strange for sure a subluxation in this position. the only recommendation I can give you is starting a process of strengthing of the hips area, abs, hips flexor, hips extensor, abductors, adductors, external and internal rotators. pay attention that stretching applied to a weak physique has more risk if compared to a strong physique.

Bill Marr

Thanks, Alessandro. I definitely have an issue with my right hip due to a slight difference in femur length (right is shorter). When doing pancake sweeps and wide hurdlers, for instance, I can get significantly lower and feel much more comfortable on the left side than on the right. In the wide hurdler, on the left, I feel quite relaxed with my forehead mid-calf; on my right side, forehead to knee is uncomfortable in the right hip area. I just need to keep banging away at stretching my right hip, especially the front split series.