Left Elbow Hyper-extends Lowering Into Iron Cross

Started by Castleclimber, April 12, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,329 Views

Castleclimber

Hi everyone,

I'd been working on the iron cross for a while until back in October when I began to focus more on rock climbing. I'm now back to ring work and am still encountering an old problem which I suspect lies in my form, the supporting muscles around my elbow or a combination of both. I've observed the following:

1) The left elbow hyper-extends when lowering unassisted into the cross on the rings.

2) The inside of the left elbow faces down, I'm not sure but I believe the inside of the right elbow is facing forwards when the shoulders are rolled forward; which is correct?

3) On the way down the right arm leads ahead of the left causing me to tilt into it.

4) On the way back up (not from a full cross but from halfway down) I often shrug the right shoulder.

There's obviously some serous issues with form here but what I'm mainly wondering is are these issues a result of weakness in the left or is the mild pain afterwards in the left elbow a result of poor form.

I have fairly strong biceps and latimus dorsi, I can do one rep of a full one arm pull/chin up.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

braindx

1. Could be a structural problem but can be mitigated with increases in biceps strength

2. Most gymnasts do it with shoulders rolled forward --so inside of the elbows face mostly down (a little forwards).

3. Likely because of the hyperextension in the other arm

4. Likely so your shoulder angle rises the same as the left -- not good though tends to lead to impingement. MUST keep the shoulders depressed.

Your issue is from weakness in your left biceps most likely. If it's not weakness then you need to focus on maintaining proper straight arm even if it's relatively bent, especially if you're getting pain.

Castleclimber

Thanks Braindx,

I'll work on increasing the strength in that bicep. What multi joint exercises should I work on? I assume that I shouldn't work the bicep in isolation, is that correct?

Richard