Only stretching once a week enough? or stretch 8 hrs per day?

Started by Lucas Ridley, May 4, 2018 · 3 Replies · 5,726 Views

Lucas Ridley

Was just listening to this podcast with David Goggins who had a lot of hip mobility issues so he started stretching 8 hours per day!

How does this work with Coach Sommers saying only do like the front split stretch once a week, and he said if you do it more it will be worse for you. It seems like more stretching will be better no?

Alessandro Mainente

You need to think in large, no little. GB product is spread in all the fitness enthusiast world. some of these people are more fitted, some less fitted. some of the had a bad posture for 20 years or more, some of them less. the concept of doing more depends on the level of tightness in the tissue, on the level of SNC opposition to the stretch, on the level of strength of the muscles stretched, on the level of experience with stretching.

Nobody knows these parameters. one stretching session a week ensures a minimum work for all the people.

Coach Sommer

Hello Lucas,

I enjoy listening to David Goggins also.  Howver you might want to consider that it was David’s tendency to massively over train and ignore his body that screwed him up in the first place.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Paul Bassett

yep, i think what what works for David Goggins is very specific to David goggins.  He's inspirational in someways but I'm not sure the extreme mindset and punishment perspective is the best long term approach.

I'm sure an 80 year old David goggins will still be doing amazing things, but I suspect it'll be more to do with his ability to endure constant pain whilst doing all basic tasks.

I wonder what level of 'moderate discomfort' he is constantly in, it's probably normal for him.