This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip swivels!

Started by Bronwyn Higgins, May 1, 2018 · 8 Replies · 335 Views

Bronwyn Higgins

Hi guys, I am getting super close to mastery of scapular shrugs, but not sure what to do if my hip swivels still look like this. As you can see I have ABSOLUTELY ABYSMAL internal rotation :-) 

What should I do? Keep staying on scap shrugs until I can get both knees down, or continue to the next exercise and keep doing hip swivels? 

Thank you! 

 

Sarah Gordon

I am not a coach but you might find this thread useful for improving your mobility in hip swivels. I found that moving into & focussing on anterior pelvic tilt helped me. Just a suggestion.

Bronwyn Higgins

Yesssss!  Thank you @Sarah Gordon! This is what I need! 

Bronwyn Higgins

Woah man... I’m feeling a huge difference when I arch my lower back, but not actually moving any more. I can feel the hip capsule and even the arches of my feet stretching when I have my lower back extended. Wow. 

Everett Carroll

Thanks for linking to that @Sarah Gordon

Bronwyn, keep your scap shrugs on maintenance and keep working at these. The modified version Wes shows in the technique tip video is something I recommend you do daily, as well as before and after your workouts where you train these. 3x60s on each side daily should really help your progress here.

Please keep us posted and continue with the form checks.

Bronwyn Higgins

Thanks @Everett Carroll. I will keep y'all posted. 

Question re: maintenance, you mean I should just maintain Scap Shrugs and not move on to the next movement, or do them in addition to moving on to the next exercise?

Thanks!

 

Everett Carroll

Stay on this progression until your hip swivel ROM matches the videos. 

Bronwyn Higgins

still working on this one... 5 months later... this is a time-lapse video, so no one has to watch me for 6 minutes straight. am i doing something wrong here? still... haven't.... gotten.... any.... further!

 

Alessandro Mainente

NIce work, please pay attention to not let the hip of the stretched internal rotation to come off from the floor or exhibit any type of minimal twist.