This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Big breakfast - protein vs. fat ratio

Started by Petra Kmecová, April 30, 2018 · 4 Replies · 161 Views

Petra Kmecová

Hi everybody, 

I have a question about macros' split of Thrive breakfast. 

I'm on Thrive for more than year. Lately I've been rereading lessons and doing some "finetuning" of the basics I've learned so far. 

One thing that came up after two weeks of macro tracking (just out of curiousity) is protein to fat ratio for breakfast. 

Specifficaly:

Could there be too much protein in one's breakfast? 

Way back in the past, I tried keto diet for a couple of moths and what I remember from that time is... Very unscientifically said... that you can screw your ketosis with eating too much protein, because your body will turn it into glucose. 

As we are trying to promote fat loss with low/no carb breakfast, could eating too much protein for breakfast mess up with that? 

For example:

I'm 57 kg, 169 cm tall and I have no trouble eating up to 40-45g of protein for breakfast. I love my morning eggs, greek yoghurt, salomon, cured meat,... Isn't that just ridiculously too much? With no benefits? 

Thanks for your opinions, Petra

Petra Kmecová

@Everett Carroll, I hope you don't mind a tagg... :-), but as you helped me with my questions last time, I woukd love your opinion on this one.

Thx in advance. 

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Everett Carroll. That was an interesting read. 

It partly answers my question about protein intake during breakfast and also partly question I had, but haven't posted yet, about overall daily protein intake. 

But it only summed up effects on body composition. Which is, I quess, what we all strive for, but it's definitely not the only objective of healthy eating. 

What I'm thinking about lately, as a result of my 2 weeks macro tracking is, that I might be overdoing it on protein. With no added benefit to my health, performance and recovery. 

I've never ever had trouble to eat enough of protein, because I naturally love protein foods - especially meats and eggs. Some days, I ate almost 180 g of protein, which I think is too much for my bodyweight (+/- 57 kg). And around 170 g of carbs along with that. 

Screenshot_20180504-090237.thumb.png.ec52a617a9355edbddbcc79c0a6c21c0.png

With this macros, I'm slowly loosing fat, feel good and have no health issues, but seeing those number got me thinking, if it is OK in a long run... And that perhaps my performance and recovery would be better with higher carb load and lower protein intake. 

Any ideas? 

Everett Carroll

Hey Petra,

Please see my PM. I want to leave your question up so Jeff can take a look. I love this stuff but it is definitely getting outside of the course's scope now.