This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deload Week???

Started by Corinna Maggy, April 30, 2018 · 5 Replies · 283 Views

Corinna Maggy

Can someone please explain to me what a deload week should look like? I understand the general idea, but how to apply it to the workout schedule or is it automatically integrated? I started F1/stretch series in January - and am starting to notice some annoying aches and pains - just wondering if this is something I should be incorporating on my own and what it should look like.

 

Thanks!!!

Joachim Hecht

Hey Corinna, 

I'm not a coach here but maybe I can give you some information.

The deload weeks were part of the foundation 1 programming in the past. You will now have deload weeks automatically integrated later in the programm after finishing foundation 1. Coach said something about people didn't train hard enough and so hit plateaus or didn't progress anymore. That's why he banned the deload weeks out of foundation 1.

Aches and pains - I'm really sorry to hear about that - but no coach will give you any medical advice over the internet. They will suggest you to see a physical therapist or something like that and to get them involved in your physical training. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Corinna,

Since you're feeling some aches and pains, take some time off of training and let your body recover. It's also important to look at your weekly volume and consider making some adjustments since you're getting a bit overworked. We're happy to help with that as well if you'd like to post some details :) 

Deload weeks are automatically integrated into your programming once you get far enough along with your progressions (once a certain # of elements reach F2). Just let the course program for you and deloads will be taken care of behind the scenes. 

What sort of aches and pains you're experiencing?

Corinna Maggy

Thanks Everett!

That's what I was thinking too...I've been taking some time off and just moving in different ways this week. 

Would love some suggestions for programming - I started with following the suggested schedule but some weeks I would double up a workout, like core/lower body on one day - So I would do one workout twice a week but I always just went by how I felt as far and energy levels and recovery. I was also doing all 3 workouts from the stretch series but found that was too much for me so I would sometimes only get 2 of the stretch series in. Also when I first started, I did the H1 course - but I was getting killer headaches the day after from tripod. So I stopped. Besides that I walk my dog 1-2 miles/day and play around with my kids - challenging them with hollow body holds, planks and handstands. (they are in all star cheer so it's nothing new to them) 

As for aches and pains...I'm pretty sure I strained my hamstring - early on I felt it during one of the mobility exercises (can't remember the name of it, windmill maybe???) and thought I was just tight and would work through it...but when I moved on to the next step...it got tighter - (and it's it's not just tightness - it is a different kind of pain that I know I need to back off of so it can heal) so now I am just avoiding going into movements that may aggravate it until it heals...and it is starting to feel better and I am getting a little ROM back slowly. I just started F2 for lower body and I have a hard time doing the cossack squat because I can feel the strain in the lower position.

Then I have pain behind my right shoulder blade area which I'm pretty sure is related to an injury about 2 years ago when I separated my ribs in a mtb crash...My chiropractor usually helps to clear that up for me, but it always comes back. It is aggravated when I do exercises like side over arch on the supporting arm side. I also have a slight S curve in my spin in this same area (which I'm sure also plays a part)  along with rotation of my spin in the lumbar region (rotary scoliosis) which causes me pain in my lower back left side around the top of my pelvis. (which is what has brought me to this style of training)

Over all - I love the program and I can feel the progress that I am making in my overall strength & mobility.

Thanks!

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Corinna,

Be sure to consult with a doctor about these issues and absolutely do not train through the pain. I hope you understand that we simply cannot comment on injuries on the forum.

I always recommend keeping core and all 3 stretch workouts to once per week. No more, and no less. Once your body is healed up, and you've eased back into training, you can consider doubling up on lower and upper body. 

For handstand, do the mobility work if possible, even if the inverted work just isn't sitting well with you right now. Consider starting a form check thread for the tripod; we can help with that more specifically in the handstand one subsection. 

Corinna Maggy

I totally understand that and agree 100% on not training through pain. 

Thanks for your advice on the core/stretch/handstand - I will keep that up  and go really light with middle split and skip the roll through for now.

 

Thanks again!