This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower Back / Glute Flexibility - Help?

Started by Brandon Russell, April 26, 2018 · 2 Replies · 152 Views

Brandon Russell

I am noticing a couple indications that I may need to correct a mobility deficit in my lower back / glutes. Below are the specifics I observe. What exercises, stretches, drills, etc. might help address this?

  • When lying on my back, with my legs going up a wall, I find it hard not to have some posterior tilt. This causes my glutes to raise off the floor a bit
  • It is almost impossible for me to get any anterior tilt when doing pancake work
  • I am having trouble improving range of motion at the bottom of my Jefferson Curl

As a note, I do each of the middle split, front split, and core (w/ jefferson curls) routines once per week.

Thank you!

Pauline Taube

Hi Brandon,

thanks for reaching out.

For the exercises lying on the floor you want to keep your pelvis in a neutral position. 

For the pancake exercises you may need to sit on a step or a bench. Elevate your butt as much as you need in order to get an apt. 

In order to improve your flexibility for Jefferson curl I recommend to keep working with the Front Split course.  You might add some daily limbering for your hamstrings too. 

Feel free to submit a form check. This way we are able to give you more specific feedback on what you need to improve :) 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Brandon, your situation is a mix of problem. let me explain something more:

-if calves are tight when you put the heels on the wall the heel (that is where the calves insert) pulls the origin to itself that is the knee. the result is a bent knee. if the knee is bent the hip move to posterior pelvic tilt

-if the glutes are too tight the lower back follows the knee and the lower back lifts from the floor.

-all the posterior chain of the legs can be a problem rather than lower back.