This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

carpal tunnel syndrome

Started by Michael Vetter, April 25, 2018 · 6 Replies · 181 Views

Michael Vetter

Hey,

 

Having quite some wrist pain since 3, 4 weeks. I cut back a little on training (stuff that is on the wrists) but didnt stop completely. But the problem didnt go away.

I plan to see a doctor next week, just to be sure.

 

Pain happens on top of the wrist (pronated hand), a bit to the left. I dont feel it always strangely. But it like some weakness too. Most notably in push ups/handstand positions.

Maybe its carpal tunnel syndrome or something. You guys have any tips? I guess the doc will just say 'rest'.

Bill Marr

Hey Michael. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel about a year ago. I'd wake up with a pins and needles pain in both hands every morning. I was doing HS at the time and had progressed to SE4 on all four wrist exercises. The specialist doctor I saw mentioned that the wrist pushup version was particularly bad for aggravating CT -- so I cut them out completely. I also dialed back the other wrist pushups and now only do the SE3 kneeling version of them. I haven't had CT pain in almost 3 months now, so that's what I did to overcome this. Totally anecdotal, but it would seem eliminating the wrist pushups  specifically made the difference with me.

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Michael, only for my curiosity, post a pic of where you feel pain. the carpal syndrome is more associated with persisting pressure on the inner forearm under the palm.

Michael Vetter

After months the doctor now thinks that it's actually "TFCC läsion" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_fibrocartilage

I'm a bit annoyed by the fact that it took so long for him to diagnose this. But now there will be MRT soon which will then determine the next steps he wants to take in the therapy.

 

I would like to ask here if people had a similar injury, have tips to deal with it or can tell me how they were treated. Since it took the doc so long to diagnose it I would like to get a second opinion.

Also I thought maybe some gymnastic sports persons are likely to get this and could tell me how they resolved their issues.

Nick Murray

Get checked for ganglion cysts as well. TFCC pain is usually around the little finger side of the hand, ganglion cyst pain can be across the back of the hand. Sometimes even opening your fingers to hold a glass can be painful.

 

Sean Schade

I have been battling an injury on my left wrist on and off for the past 6 months. I will rest it for 2-3 weeks, and then usually within 2-3 weeks it is aggravated again. It is the top of my wrist right above the lunate so it may be the TFCC. I have been doing the wrist series of exercises for nearly a year. I do notice that the wrist pushups seem to aggravate it more, but I don’t think they are the root cause. 

A year ago I got an Apple Watch that I wear on my left wrist nearly 24/7. I use it to track my sleep. I think the watch sliding below my wrist bones puts a lot of pressure on that area. I moved the watch to my right wrist, loosened the band, and stopped wearing it while sleeping. That brought relief within a week. 

@Alessandro Mainente can you suggest any rehabilitation exercises?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Sean, unfortunately without knowing your problem there is nothing that I can suggest.