This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE1 - Compression & Bent Leg in iM

Started by Sarah Gordon, April 25, 2018 · 12 Replies · 145 Views

Sarah Gordon

Hi, I have been working this for a while but I am looking for some coaching.

In the tuck up I feel like my compression is OK but when I try to experiment with straddle ups in PE2 my compression is very weak. Also weak in navasana or boat pose. Could you give some pointers to help me improve please.

 

In the iM I can see my front leg is bending on both sides. What do you think this is ? Do I need to focus on externally rotating my femur in the forward leg or is it a pelvic rotation issue? I have some meniscus issues so am I just unconsciously protecting my knees? Any suggestions for key pointers that may help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Petra Kmecová

Hey @Sarah Gordon,

I'm no coach, obviously, but what I can see, is a similar problem that I had and still work on...

You can read more on it here:

To sum it up:

It turned out, that I wasn't engaging my core properly in those and thus not actually working my core, but rather hip flexors. I had some lower back pain as well, when volume was higher. After I changed technique on those and really focus on flattening my lower back to the ground first and then tucking up, pain went away and I started to feel the burn in my abs. This also meant, that I had to regress to almost beginning and built it back up. But it was worth it. 

Anyways, wait for some coaches opinion, because it might not be your problem. I was only assuming it because in your video, I've noticed, that you are not flattening your lower back to the floor. 

Good luck :-) 

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Sarah Gordon said:

Hi, I have been working this for a while but I am looking for some coaching.

In the tuck up I feel like my compression is OK but when I try to experiment with straddle ups in PE2 my compression is very weak. Also weak in navasana or boat pose. Could you give some pointers to help me improve please.

 

In the iM I can see my front leg is bending on both sides. What do you think this is ? Do I need to focus on externally rotating my femur in the forward leg or is it a pelvic rotation issue? I have some meniscus issues so am I just unconsciously protecting my knees? Any suggestions for key pointers that may help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

With good probability you have tight calves and gracilis, focus on holding the knee locked and move down as much as you can WHILE holding the knee locked.

Sarah Gordon
20 hours ago, Petra Kmecová said:

Hey @Sarah Gordon,

I'm no coach, obviously, but what I can see, is a similar problem that I had and still work on...

You can read more on it here:

To sum it up:

It turned out, that I wasn't engaging my core properly in those and thus not actually working my core, but rather hip flexors. I had some lower back pain as well, when volume was higher. After I changed technique on those and really focus on flattening my lower back to the ground first and then tucking up, pain went away and I started to feel the burn in my abs. This also meant, that I had to regress to almost beginning and built it back up. But it was worth it. 

Anyways, wait for some coaches opinion, because it might not be your problem. I was only assuming it because in your video, I've noticed, that you are not flattening your lower back to the floor. 

Good luck :-) 

Hi Petra Thanks so much for sending me over to this thread. It is really informative & I can see my back is nowhere near flat on the mat. Looks like I am dialing this back a long way & starting from the ground up, ha ha....anyway, thanks again I hope I can get a better feel about this from all the tips.

Thanks again. 

Sarah Gordon
18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

With good probability you have tight calves and gracilis, focus on holding the knee locked and move down as much as you can WHILE holding the knee locked.

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, OK this sounds like a reasonable assessment. Stretching calves seems straight forward enough. Gracillis - hmmm....maybe some foam rolling. 

I will bring my focus to locking my knees & engaging my quads. Thanks for your suggestions.

Alessandro Mainente

you're welcome!

Petra Kmecová

@Sarah Gordon happy to help. One of the very rare occasions, where I helped somebody, not the other way around :-) 

Sarah Gordon

Hi, My update for the tuck up. I have been working to keep a PPT. And I have gone from arms & legs raised to almost on the floor now. Please review & give comments. Thanks.

 

 

Sarah Gordon

iM

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Sarah, few tips for you:

-during the PE you need to relax completely in between the reps, seems that your heels never touch properly the floor;

-during the IM the bottom shoulder should reach knee level.

Sarah Gordon

OK, thanks Alessandro. I will work on this.

Nick Murray

Not a coach, but the fluidity of the 2nd PE video was night and day better than the first.

One of the biggest things to realise with this type of training is that strength and mobility are skills: you get better at them as you reinforce range of motion and control.

Sarah Gordon

Hi Nick,

From seeing the form checks other trainees have posted I have learnt there is a big difference between performing a movement & performing a movement with control. And it takes me a long time to learn how to do this & develop the necessary muscles but the overall game changer so far has been the development of my core muscle groups & learning how to access them. I practised yoga diligently for 10 years & did not achieve this. Slow, consistent progress.

Thanks for taking the time to make a comment.