This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

OAHS PE2

Started by Christian Nogueira, April 19, 2018 · 6 Replies · 144 Views

Christian Nogueira

So at the moment I can't get into this position. I believe it's an issue with my wrists not liking this position (hurts on the pinkie side of the wrist) and maybe my arms not rotating enough for this position to really be confortable. I can get into like a wall 45 degree plank, basically getting the bar a little away from the wall more than what is shown in the video. Would building from this position work (trying to get nearer the wall) ? I feel like there could be a forearm stretch that might address this for me.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Cristian, The problem in the wrists can be due to a wrong positioning of the hands but also a poor shoulder mobility that leads to internal rotation of the upper arm. the question is...do you have already reached a decent shoulder mobility?

Christian Nogueira

Hello Alessandro, 

So let me give you an overview of my shoulder mobility. I'm also suspecting it's an issue with tight internal rotators.

I think shoulder flexion is somewhat decent, here's a video of me practicing H1's handstand.

Shoulder extension is probably not at the level for manna level things, but I think it's somewhat decent. I don't have videos to show it though.

Dislocates are fine I think, though I always need to warmup a bit for them as I feel them a lot on the biceps. 

I do think however I have an more significant issue with rotation in the shoulders, specifically external rotation, my feeling with is that I cannot rotate out enough and the wrist doesn't end up completely forward facing so there's some torque in it.  I also find the if I do a simple elbow lever the way it's shown in a lot of yoga videos with the fingers of the hand pointing backward it's also very uncomfortable in the exact same way it is for the supinated handstand.

I also have massive elbow hyperextension, I don't know if this can affect this position as well. For reference, here's me playing with a tuck planche from a while ago.

Let me know if I can provide more information. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

It is not bad, it seems to be probably more a problem of alignment. then show the OAHS PE2.

Christian Nogueira

Will do, when I get a chance. Thanks Alessandro.

Christian Nogueira

Hello, 

I'm actually going to hold off on this position for now. When I wrote this on Thursday my wrist was having pain on some motions (in supination and rotating the wrist out). At the time I thought it was just soreness as it wasn't swollen or anything. As the weekend went, it was still painful so I must've made some minor injury as a result of this move. 

It's not hard pain and fortunately it doesn't affect the rest of my training (in fact a good handstand feels like a good stretch that relieves a bit of the pressure), it's pain on the outside of the wrist when rotating the wrist out or doing ulnar deviation. It feels better today, but still not 100%.  As I try to recall my training session from Wednesday I'm thinking it could also have been exiting the supinated HS by cartwheeling to the right side.  

My problem is definitely lack of supination rom, when I flex my shoulders into a open position, supinating the hand fully without external aid is almost impossible, so I'm going to hold off training H3 for now and focus on addressing this. I think it's probably tight forearm pronators combined with some lack of external rotation in the shoulders (not so much just shoulder flexion like for a handstand), so I'm going to focus on this. In any case I'm making good progress on Foundation, H1 and H2 so it's not like I can't go back to this later on in training, there's absolutely no rush. 

Any stretches you could recommend Alessandro ? I saw that you have a pretty good supinated HS on your IG page :).

 

Alessandro Mainente

Difficult to say what is the problem. I got the solution, pronator , lats and every muscle which decrease the external rotation.