This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Best mobility bang for the buck

Started by Martin Byrod, April 19, 2018 · 5 Replies · 308 Views

Martin Byrod

Hey guys,

tl;dr: What are the most beneficial mobility drills I should add to my weekly schedule if I don't have time to follow the three stretching courses? (although they seem really good) I.e. what are the exercises that would give the most gains for the least amount of time spent per week?

Some background: I am currently following Foundation 1 (3x per week) and Handstand 1 (1x per week) + I go running once a week. This schedule works pretty well for me, but between family and a demanding job this is also pretty close to the limit of what I can find time for in a given week. I purchased the middle split stretch course and it seems really solid, but I have only done it once since I just can't find time for another 45 slot once per week. And then we have the thoracic bridge and front split courses that I have not even started thinking about... And don't get me wrong btw! I would love to do these courses, but it just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, this means that apart from the integrated mobility components in F1 I am not really doing any other mobility work, which feels like a bit of a shame and I think it is holding me back a little bit. What I am hoping for is some potent mobility drills I could add to my weekly regimen that could at least put me on a path to progress.

As an example, Jefferson curls have had a huge impact on my hamstring, back and achilles flexibility. About 7-8 months ago when I started I was able to touch my toes with straight legs, but that was about it. Now I can easily put both palms flat on the floor. In fact I can do it with bent elbows or even put both palms on the floor *behind* my feet. In a seated pike I can now rather easily fold forward and put my head on my legs. To me this is rather ridiculous progress and all I have done is 5x5 jefferson curls once per week with slowly increasing load.

Now to my question. What are some other exercises of "Jefferson curl caliber" that I could add to my weekly schedule that could give similar nice mobility gains in say 7-8 months time? I am guessing shoulder dislocates could be one such similarly useful exercise? How about other ones for say hip flexor or for whatever you need for middlesplit/pancakes or thoracic bridge etc?

Ideally I'm looking for a few exercises to add to the end of my regular sessions or squeeze in whenever I have 5-10 minutes on an off day to do some additional mobility work.

Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Martin the answer is not easy because...because it depends on your personal limitation.

Unfortunately, your request walks exactly in opposite with your necessity. if you have BAD posture and tight tissue is because your body built up the habit that the normal condition is tight tissue and bad posture. Usually, these condition appears when they are held for prolonged minutes,, hours..months...years.  so how can you think that you can change this bad habit with less time as possible?  my common suggestion in fact is:

-perform the stretch series once a week

PLUS...yes...plus

-daily work...daily...for the strongest limitations.

SO sincerely i cannot really know What you need...but for sure you do not need LESS.

Martin Byrod

Ok maybe I did not phrase it the best way. What I'm looking for is really to do MORE than what I am currently doing and not less. It is just that right now I will not be able to add 3x45 min per week, but I would like to at least add a bit more. But sure I hear what you are saying that it's hard to give specific recommendations without knowing more. Totally get that. Potentially I could consider doing the stretch courses instead of the F1 work for a while, but not sure if that seems right.

 

Alessandro Mainente

oh Sorry, well. take a piece of paper. write down the exercises with the biggest limitations...1-2 from every stretch series and perform them daily.

Paul Monje

Alessandro,

For the exercises with the biggest limitations, do we hold them for the same amount of time as in the stretch series?

With Gratitude,

Paul

Alessandro Mainente

You can hold them for the same time, for the best results maybe multiple time a day.