This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Calf strength

Started by Guido Franchetti, April 18, 2018 · 9 Replies · 183 Views

Guido Franchetti

As a result of an accident (knee and hip fracture, now dating about 3 years ago), my left leg is quite a bit weaker than the right one, particularly quads and calves (and maybe glutes).

I've managed to recover quite a bit of quad strength doing single leg squats with a weigh (5kg) for counterbalance, but rebuilding strength in the calf seems harder.

Any advice? While I am cleared for anything, I imagine an intense routine of single leg jumping would not be the best for my knee.
For the last 4 weeks I've tried single leg calf raises, at the moment 3x 25 reps twice a week (which I struggle to complete), but I am not seeing much improvement...

Any advice? Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Simply perform a test and see how much difference there is. After taking a reference and build up the gap in function of the weak calf.

Guido Franchetti
On 4/18/2018 at 11:17 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Simply perform a test and see how much difference there is. After taking a reference and build up the gap in function of the weak calf.

I tried one set of single leg calf raises to failure - not sure I managed to really go to failure but I stopped at 42 with the left, 83 with the right and I could probably have done more. Granted, they were not all full range reps. With the right I could feel the calf burn but still continue, with the left I did not feel as much burn but even getting a modest range rep was getting very hard. I had a second and third round after a very brief interval: 37 and 26 for the left, 25 (it just was so burning, I am sure I could have done more) and 40 for the right.

In terms of circumference the difference is about 0.8 cm, 33.7 vs 34.5 at the widest (I took the measurement myself and it probably isn't completely accurate).

But where I feel the biggest difference is single leg jumping: with the right is not so bad, with the left one is miserable.

Any advice on what to do to balance things out?

Alessandro Mainente

Ther reference is the weak side. so establish a number of reps which is the weak side number and perform the same with the strongest one.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Ale. Would you just do single leg calf raises or is there anything which could be useful adding?

Alessandro Mainente

For a complete work test the exercise on both straight knee calf raise and also 90° bent knee calf raise.

Richard Moran

I broke my right leg twice last year and lost a lot of muscle in the right calf, after being in a cast for 11weeks. It’s almost back to where it was before. I use a lot of single leg exercises throughout the day to help regain the strength.  Single leg calf raises standing/seated, balance board, single leg balance on toes with eyes closed, single leg hops onto a step, heels on the ground lifting rest of foot up, I have started to run again and throw in some shuttles and agility work, go easy to start and listen to your body.  I also find that my calfs are incredibly tight so working on mobility is just as important.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Alessandro and Richard!

Richard, glad to hear you've nearly recovered. What kind of volume you do? Several times a day seems quite a lot!

Richard Moran

Guido, all depends on the day and how I feel, I may do one big session but most often split it up.  Calf raises in the shower, whilst cooking, stood on the train on way to work etc, balance board whilst watching tv. At the gym I’ll grab some weight and do seated/standing raises, hops.  Use a skipping rope for warmups.  Don’t forget the mobility work, I like to roll my calves and feet on a lacrosse ball a couple of times a week.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Guido Franchetti said:

Thanks Alessandro and Richard!

Richard, glad to hear you've nearly recovered. What kind of volume you do? Several times a day seems quite a lot!

no more than 2 times a week for the first 5-7 months.