This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Returning Questions/Observations

Started by ROBERT Burtchell, April 18, 2018 · 1 Replies · 79 Views

ROBERT Burtchell

Hello all... I started GST a few years ago, but do to my impatience, first child being born, and new job all happening around the same time, my practice ended up falling to the way side.

 

Fast forward two years, knee surgery( 6 months ago), and feeling a little more patient now that I've hit the 30 year old mark.

In my last few days of testing where I am at, Ill post some form checks over the next few days, I noticed in my dislocates or even HS Pe1 im, I have been cheating the mobility by rolling my shoulders in allowing for false range of motion in my right side causing very to no mid trap activation unless I visualize my scap literally rotating upwards as I bring my right arm up and overhead. The same could be said for push-ups, allowing my again right shoulder to internally rotate in and elevate during the eccentric portion near the bottom of the movement.

On a positive side, my bent hollow body holds feel stronger than before now that I've started from week on with not only drawing my stomach in to activate my transverse but also using a PPT to press my lower back into the floor contracting my entire core even more so. Someone please correct this if I am wrong in my description.

Now my one question is on SPL... During my scap push-ups, am I wrong to be visualizing that when I press my blades apart to visualize pressing my armpits and lats into the ground? It seems to activate my serratus even more than I use to. Before I would press as hard as I could into the ground, but always felt like it was going into my upper traps over anything else. Also on the negative portion of the scap push, should the scap elevate to the ears or stay depressed as they retract, and is there such thing as going too hollow?

 

...Enough wall of text, if anyone reads it all, I look forward to growing with everyone here and thank you for your feedback in advance.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, ROBERT Burtchell said:

Hello all... I started GST a few years ago, but do to my impatience, first child being born, and new job all happening around the same time, my practice ended up falling to the way side.

 

Fast forward two years, knee surgery( 6 months ago), and feeling a little more patient now that I've hit the 30 year old mark.

In my last few days of testing where I am at, Ill post some form checks over the next few days, I noticed in my dislocates or even HS Pe1 im, I have been cheating the mobility by rolling my shoulders in allowing for false range of motion in my right side causing very to no mid trap activation unless I visualize my scap literally rotating upwards as I bring my right arm up and overhead. The same could be said for push-ups, allowing my again right shoulder to internally rotate in and elevate during the eccentric portion near the bottom of the movement.

On a positive side, my bent hollow body holds feel stronger than before now that I've started from week on with not only drawing my stomach in to activate my transverse but also using a PPT to press my lower back into the floor contracting my entire core even more so. Someone please correct this if I am wrong in my description.

Now my one question is on SPL... During my scap push-ups, am I wrong to be visualizing that when I press my blades apart to visualize pressing my armpits and lats into the ground? It seems to activate my serratus even more than I use to. Before I would press as hard as I could into the ground, but always felt like it was going into my upper traps over anything else. Also on the negative portion of the scap push, should the scap elevate to the ears or stay depressed as they retract, and is there such thing as going too hollow?

 

...Enough wall of text, if anyone reads it all, I look forward to growing with everyone here and thank you for your feedback in advance.

HI Robert, it is a common mistake the full elevation, try to hold some degree of depression when you push up from the floor. on the other side, I recommend a certain level of elevation during the retraction (bottom part).