This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cossack Squats

Started by Sam Jarvis, April 16, 2018 · 10 Replies · 319 Views

Sam Jarvis

Hello, I'm currently on Step 9 SLS / PE 6 5 x 10r (Cossack Squats) and Twisting Squats for mobility.  A couple questions:

-  I can complete the Cossack Squats but my mobility is such that I can't go all the way down to the ground when doing a rep.  Should I advance to the next step?

-  When I do the Twisting Squats, it doesn't feel stable, and it hurts the outside of my knees and I'm afraid I'm going to injure myself. Is there a way to modify this exercise?

Thanks

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Sam,

As you progress through your courses, try to think about each PE and its accompanying iM as a single progression. In order to move on, you need to master both parts of the progression. Keep working on your Cossack Squats until your twisting squats have a chance to catch up.

I recommend resting your knees for a few days. After you have taken some time off, try doing your twisting squats from an elevated surface such as a chair or bench. As you improve, work your way towards the floor little by little. Doing so will give your knees time to gradually adjust to the new workload.

Mark Chin

Hi Sam, I did exactly as you with the same result. Then I took a critical eye to my deck squat and skiers. Neither were up to mastery. I went back down and am finding lots of deficits to close. But I am pretty sure when I go back to cossack and twisting squats it will feel a lot better! 

Maybe post form checks of the deck squat and skiers for a forum coach to look at? 

 

M

Adam Rusiewicz

This is probably somewhere else on the forum but I am having trouble locating it.  I started Cossack squats today and I am having trouble with understanding the sets and reps scheme with how you guys write it out.  With the Cossack squat being 5 x 10r I assume that means 5 sets of 10 total reps, counting each leg as 1 rep.  Therefore, that would technically be 5 on each leg. However, with the twisting squat mobility work, it is written as 5 x 5r@.  I am not understanding what the at (@) sign is meaning here.  Can I assume this means 5 reps each way?  If someone could clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it.  If I need to further explain my confusion, I would be glad to clarify even more.  

Alessandro Mainente

In the case of this exercise is referred to both directions.

Adam Rusiewicz
7 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

In the case of this exercise is referred to both directions.

Thanks for the reply.  Any chance you could further explain, or anyone else?  

So from the floor going in one direction (left for example) till you are back 360 degrees that would count as 1 rep?  Then from the floor going back to the right and turning 360 degrees would be rep number 2?  Or is going left and then going right count as 1 rep? 

And can you elaborate exactly what 5 x 5r@ means?  Not just within the context of this exercise, but others as well? 

Alessandro Mainente

The @ means each side. a 360 degree is one rep.

Adam Rusiewicz
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The @ means each side. a 360 degree is one rep.

That makes more sense to me, thank you for further explaining! Much appreciated.  

Martin Almaas

The reps for the cossack squat still isn`t clear to me. 5x10 reps means 10 on the left leg and 10 on the right, for a total of 20 reps?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes it is.

Donny C

Hi GB tribes, 

I just started Cossack Squats and noticed this message:

"With intermediate and advanced exercises from F2, F3 and F4 courses, you will log sets and reps instead of smileys."

When I open the log sets, I notice this: Step #1 (number of reps) (shown in the screenshot).screenshot_1004.thumb.png.11942a3c1242c7f7dc37648a27e4812e.png

I'm presuming that I need to work upwards to complete 5 sets of 10 reps per set before moving on to the next level.

The question is what should be the incremental number of reps per set. Has somebody had any guidance around this?

Thanks.