This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Transitioning from tripod to headstand

Started by Irina Pasin, April 15, 2018 · 3 Replies · 119 Views

Irina Pasin

Hi!

I am working on the handstand and graduated to the headstand. However, I could not get into it at all. While holding 60s tripod is ok, the headstand is absolutely not possible. Barely holding one leg up. Feeling like the weight in the on head and so wobbly that might break the neck. Could yu please advise on what is going wrong? 

Thank you!

Leo Trinidad

Hi Irina, 

There are a lot of factors that can affect this and it could be mainly because of overall strength. Please post a video for form review so we can better look at it.

Roman Jakob

My understanding of this exercise is, that you need to support part of the weight of your body through your arms and shoulders and not only with your head.

It's called headstand, but maybe it should be named shoulder-head-stand instead.

Irina Pasin
Quote

 

Hi Roman,

Thank you for your response. I think that is my problem with the tripod, I don't feel the spread of the weight on the hands (only base of the palm). Also don't feel the back involved as much. will try it again to gain a better feel of it.