This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supone flair: Snapping hips

Started by Erlend Hunstad 158922, April 11, 2018 · 6 Replies · 178 Views

Erlend Hunstad 158922

Following The Program pretty much every week for about 1 year. From the start, my hips made this crazy sound; like a bowstring being released, when doing the supine flares. 

 

It it is not painful. I have a decent mobility. I can almost do the mid split. Lacking more in the front splits  

But the sound is rather loud.   loud enough that my girlfriend sometimes laughs in the “should I be worried” way .

it seems to be the tendon that makes the sound when rolling over the hip joint, or something.

Any tips on how to improve this?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Erlend, your problem is pretty common, but is hard to find  the nature, it can be:

-the psoas snapping over its bursa;

-the hips genetical conformation;

- snapping vertebrae.

The only suggestion is to control the movement and avoid any type of lower back arc.

Erlend Hunstad 158922

It might be the psoas, as that sound like a hit. 

If it is “common” it might mean “not to worry”?

is there any thing you could recommend doing with it? 

As it is not painful, I am just pushing on; and will calm down if anything changes. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Erlend,

As Alex mentioned, just be sure to control the movement. Do them nice and slow and make sure there is no arch in your low back :) 

Joachim Hecht

Good to know that I'm not the only one :D 

Ronnicky Roy

Yea, I've had that too. I know for me it's the psoas portion and it only happens when i'm not quite warm enough. When doing MSs i'll generally turn on the heater to 80 degrees to help with warmup.

Fiona Silk

This happens to me all the time, and it's incredibly uncomfortable, to the point that I can't do them properly unless my legs are very close together (more of a V than a wide shape). Happens however warm I am. Any tips?