This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tripod into Headstand

Started by Irina Pasin, April 10, 2018 · 2 Replies · 158 Views

Irina Pasin

Hi! 

I’ve been working on the tripod for a month and have “graduated” into the headstand. When I attempted it, however, it just did not happen at all. I could just about get one leg up. Otherwise felt absolutely all over the place and like i would break my neck. I’m confused as spending a minute in the tripod is not a problem at all. Could someone please advise? Maybe it’s because I’m not 100% sure about weight spread on the palms and end up at the base of the hand. Also I really feel my neck involved. I’ve done handstands before against the wall no problem. Is it something to with the back strength maybe? 

Appreciate the help! 

Pauline Taube

Hi Irina,

Thanks for reaching and and congratulations with your tripod progression!

I recommend to enter the headstand from the tripod position. Use your core to slowly lift your knees up from your elbows. You might need to do this against the wall to begin with or have a spotter.

feel free to submit a video of your attempt. This way we are able to provide you with more specific feedback :) 

Matthew Walker

I had the same issue. Not being upside down for 30 years my brain didn't know what to do. I started against a wall and gradually moved away an inch or two each session. A few weeks later it was just natural without a wall. Now I do headstands for fun in my cubicle at work without even thinking about it. For me it was all mental.