This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Piriformis stretch - don't feel the stretch in the glutes

Started by Stefan Steigerwald, April 10, 2018 · 5 Replies · 180 Views

Stefan Steigerwald

Hi

When doing the Piriformis stretch like it is shown in the video where the front knee is above the ground, I don't feel any stretch in the glutes - just the outside of my hip that connects with the leg. 

When I'm doing the stretch, however, with my front leg including knee on the ground (see attached youtube video) I can feel a nice stretch in the glutes. The videos about Piriformis stretch I have found on Youtube also show the front leg being on the ground. I have never seen a video with the front knee above the ground beside the "middle split" video. 

Could anybody please explain the difference and if it is ok to do the other version where the front knee is on the ground like in this video: 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

It is completely fine, simply you major limitation is the posterior capsule of the hip. keep going and welcome to the club of tight capsule!!! 

Stefan Steigerwald

Thanks! so should I do the stretch where the knee is above the ground even if I can't feel the piriformis? Should I also do the stretch where the knee is on the ground like in the video above to get some Piriformis stretch?

Alessandro Mainente

For your case specifically, the course stretch is by far better.

Oussama KHELLADI
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

For your case specifically, the course stretch is by far better.

one time you posted about putting the feet more forward than the displayed in the serie , doing this after the hips touch the floor in the MSS or at ur will ?

Alessandro Mainente

The course variation is more gentle. if you are tight in the hip follow first the course standard then you can add modifications.