This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Split - Tight Hip Flexor or Tight Hamstring

Started by Callam Pearson, April 9, 2018 · 2 Replies · 164 Views

Callam Pearson

Hi,

I have been working on my Front Split Series since the New Year.  Very recently, I have noticed my left hamstring is tighter than my right and also that my right hip flexor is the tighter of the two.  I notice mostly during the FSSSE20 / 21 and FSSSE22 / 23 stretches, where it is more difficult to maintain square hips on one side than the other.  Is this fairly common and can GB recommend any other advice to correct this, other than stretching each side correctly and consistently but also evenly?

Have any other GB Course students experienced this?

Also, slightly on a side note, is it best to maintain a flat lower back during a standing pike stretch, even if this means having the torso horizontal (parallel to the floor)?  I currently try to do this and feel a sufficient stretch through the full length of the hamstring but not sure if this is correct technique.

Many thanks in advance,
Callam

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Callum,

This is very common for people to experience the same discrepancies in flexibility between both legs.

In this case, a good approach would be to always stretch your tight side first. This allows you to stretch your tight side with clear focus. P tend to slack off on the second side, so stretching he tight side first for any stretch allows you to come into it more focused.

You can also perform the stretches you mentioned in your initial post daily, bouncing up on he tight side to help it catch up.

As for your last question, It could be helpful to start the set with a flat back. Halfway through your stretch, compress towards your thighs to lengthen your lower back.

The straight spine variation emphasizes your hamstrings, he compressed position emphasizes he lower back. Both are useful tools.

Ronnicky Roy

I have the exact same imbalance. Tight left hammy and tight right hip flexor. First time I did FSs and MSs I literally felt like I had a new pair of legs. It was eerie. Body feels far more balanced for a solid 4-5 days after doing them.