This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1&stretch with the Flu

Started by Jonas Berglund, April 6, 2018 · 2 Replies · 92 Views

Jonas Berglund

Hi there, so got the flu since 5 days or so and decided to put my F1 training on hold/deload for the week. I decided to do the stretch (FS & TB) before the week wrap up. I think they dont raise my pulse to bad and if some exercise somehow do ill just reduce the intensity a bit or skip the specific exercise. Will also keep doing daily limbering.Is this an ok way to go?

My flu are like 50% gone as i write this so I do consider some low volume F1 for the end of week aswell, but at like 50% of normal intensity(maybe even less). 

Are my approach Ok? How are you handling sick-weeks?

Adrian Theopold

I think it depends what you call a "flu".  If it includes fever or I feel sick, meaning basically every move makes you sweat, I would skip everything altogether. Your body needs rest to fight the illness and putting extra stress on top of it in form of stretching is probably not a good idea.

If you only have milder symptoms I still can't recommend anything, because everybody is different, but what I usally do is:

Stretch series and my warmup/daily limber routine at a lower intensity and only maybe some elements from F1 which don't feel exhausting at all with more rest in between exercises. (Hereby I don't mean that 5 x 10 pushups with enough rest is an okay think to do, I probably wouldn't do any exercise for the upper body which I'm currently on) I basically do what feels right and where I really enjoy to do the movement, because that's the reason why I'm doing sports while being not 100% fit. For me it's not about making progress, but staying mentally healthy by doing at least some sport while loosening the body a bit.

But beware, as soon as you raise the pulse you activate the sympathetic nervous system which makes you feel and breathe better. This is dangerous as one might believe that you can push harder than you actually should. Also if you do the TBS series I would probably skip the elevated bridge exercises in the end, at least for me they are equally exhausting as F1 work.

Last but not least, get well soon!

Jon Douglas

Solid advice here ^ especially the trap of feeling better once you start.