This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Korean Dip Fail Attempt

Started by Jerh Shyang Cheng, April 5, 2018 · 10 Replies · 319 Views

Jerh Shyang Cheng

I have always had poor shoulder extension. Whenever I do bench press /dips/ overhead shoulder presses I have this tendency to overcompensate my right deltoid ( often leads to pain )to do the exercise . For this reason I have completely rule out bench press and shoulder presses from my workout regimen ( I even stopped doing handstands ). I would like to ask for help to check on my form and give advises on what can I improve on. Thanks!

 

OverHand Single Bar Dip

Underhand Single Bar Dip

Korean Dip Attempt

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jerh, the problem is that the korean dip is a dynamic variation, in your case the backward swing is not presented and when you try to reverse the movement you push your butt against the bar. on the other side if you let the body to swing under the bar you can use the momentum to reverse the movement by pushing forward first (in order to pass the bar with the hips) then upward to reach the top of the bar with glutes.

Jerh Shyang Cheng

Hi Alessandro,

I have tried what you mentioned but to no avail. I seem to stuck on the lower part. Is there anything I can do to scale down the exercise?

Alessandro Mainente

Unfortunately no because it has a technical component. post another attempt with my corrections, please. It is preferable a side view.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Cheng, i cannot see this one!

Jerh Shyang Cheng
17 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Cheng, i cannot see this one!

Hi Alessandro , not very savvy with Youtube, thought I should put it 'unlisted' instead of public. Here you go, please comment thanks!

 

Korean Dip

Alessandro Mainente

As you can see the technique is the problem and you got the second rep! NICELY DONE.

now the biggest mistake, and you will say "what the hell, I did one rep where is the mistake?".

you bend your knees and if you do that what's happening?

-first: rectus femoris is stretched out

-second: when it is stretched is promotes the hip flexion, the butt will reach the bar and you have no chances to move over the bar

-third: when you are reaching the top of the bar with a bent knee the weight is not counter balanced and you tend to fall forward as in the first rep.

Jerh Shyang Cheng
On 4/19/2018 at 5:21 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

As you can see the technique is the problem and you got the second rep! NICELY DONE.

now the biggest mistake, and you will say "what the hell, I did one rep where is the mistake?".

you bend your knees and if you do that what's happening?

-first: rectus femoris is stretched out

-second: when it is stretched is promotes the hip flexion, the butt will reach the bar and you have no chances to move over the bar

-third: when you are reaching the top of the bar with a bent knee the weight is not counter balanced and you tend to fall forward as in the first rep.

5_5_2018 Korean Dip

Hi Alessandro,

After several attempts on this exercise I have begun to get a hang of it, with your recommendation that I should straighten my legs and exert some momentum to help with the exercise. Do you consider my form passed by GB standards? Can I already proceed to the next progression ?

Alessandro Mainente

Well, sometimes you tend to fall forward and it is not clear if you are falling because you begin the next rep or because you've failed to complete the previous. stay in this variation for a couple of sessions more.